Asterina/Harlequin - input please

sharoleb

The asterinas are everywhere, in epic proportions. I think this is a result of an RO gone bad and not replaced soon enough. No TDS. That problem is fixed, but I want them out. They are on the walls, rock, and most worrisome - on nearly all of my zoas. Some zoas are dying. Not acceptable.

I've been reading about harlequin shrimp and it seems there are mixed reviews on whether they eat them. I know I would have to rehome it when I'm done. I'm looking for good, ol fashioned local opinions and input on whether this might be sucessful.

Also - how about bristle stars? Any luck going that route? Then I would be able to keep it.

Thanks.

36bf 16 months old

• 1 month later...
Little FYI bump - Harly took care of the asterina problem. When I got him he started eating one within 5 minutes of being in the tank. Now they are nearly gone.

I'm kinda considering keeping him, but most likely you'll see him in the classifieds soon.

Thats so cool!!! (clap) I wish I had an asteria problem so I could get one LOL. (laugh) I have seen people feed them chocolate chip stars but that is not for the faint of heart. (sad)

Yeah, that's what I'm deciding LOL. They are beautiful shrimp, but the hacking of a star fish is what gets me. If I knew the legs would come off in one fell swoop that would be one thing, but can't picture myself just hacking and sawing away, yuk. I don't mind throwing oysters and other gross seafood in a blender, but they're already dead lol. Besides, I really want a cool reef safe star fish.