New Tang Not Eating?

JonBoy

I have a fairly new clown tang, hes been in the tank for 2 weeks or so, and he still wont eat any food I put in. He eats off the glass and rock still but doesnt care for anything i feed, i've fed flake soaked in garlic, just flake, rods soaked with garlic, just rods, and some other foods. I have him in a 25 gal tank isolated with another tang that does eat flake food, im trying to give him a good example lol, and still nothing. Anyone have something special that he cant resist or any ideas at all? As soon as he eats ill put both tangs into my 120.

As others have mentioned try some nori. Try not to get the roasted nori as roasting takes some of the nutrients out.

FWIW, every once in awhile I hold a piece of nori in my tank and let my tang (and the other fish) eat it from my hand. I no longer rubber band it to a rock as it never lasts long enough to need to be held down.

You may also have better luck with homemade food. If you go that route use plenty of broccoli, spinach, and garlic. (The greens for the nutrients and the garlic to stimulate the feeding response) I throw in a few sheets of nori also along with vita-chem, shrimp, oyster feast (for the corals), etc. You can tailor this any way you want to work for your particular inhabitants.

I have had stubborn Tangs before also, as a matter of fact every one has been stubborn but if nori tied to a rock doesn't work put some calerpa tied to a rock, or a clip but mine was even weary of the clip at first. I've found calerpa to be the only thing they'll eat at first........ besides maybe those chips from the wholesaler which was going to be my last and final try but the calerpa has worked every time