Marine Velvet...

aquariansaltwater

So I got a nasty infestation of Marine Velvet. After severe loss of all my expensive fish, I am down to just a few left. I finally treated with Malachite Green and Formulin...it seemed to kick the velvet. I also ran the fish through a Maracin treatment in the course of trying to fix the issue. The five fish I have left are all helthy looking and eating well. I also ran Copper in the system during all this as well.

What I want to know is how long I need to leave them in the QT tank before I put them back in my reef? Does what I did kill the velvet or just slow it down enough to let the fish defeat it and become immune? If I put them in the reef will it kill all the fish in there?

Thank you in advance.

Matt

it helps kill it, but i would wait at least as long as the cycle is of the parasite which is i think at least 2 weeks. i am running a UV sterilizer after getting it and it killed it very fast and the remaining fish made a very fast recovery. i did not dose any meds in the tank for it.

http://www.aboutfishonline.com/articles/marinevelvet.html

This says the life cycle is 2-3 days without a host. Not sure, I know that I have been told with ich to give your fish free tank 4-6 weeks to make sure everything is gone.

I had a couple bad cases of velvet when I first started and its brutal. I say the longer the better. I feel your pain, lost a grip of fish to my lack of knowledge when I started.

good luck, sorry for your losses.

Unfortunately, I'm not a beginner. I've just never dealt with this particular bug before. I lost a lot of $$$ with this one. I lost my 9" Queen angel, my Chevron Tang, My Achilles Tang, My Yellow Belly Blue Hippo, all my Chromis, my PJ Cardinal, and a few others.

Ich has a life cycle of 48 hours...there was an extensive study done on it...I'll see if I can find it later and link it. But the study concluded that in a host free environment, the total extinction of the population took place in 58 hours maximum. So if you let it run for for 72 hours it should be save as long as there is no cross contamination.

Matt