Some Ideas need feedback/advice on!!!

jgf86123

Ok, so heres the deal:

We picked up a 90g sump last weekend, standard glass 90g tank, thick thick glass. It's been drilled and has baffles in it already, so it's gonna continue being a sump LOL.

What we want to do:

I want to redo my stand, that plan has been in the books for months now, just haven't gotten around to it. The new stand is going to be 72x24x40H.

I'm keeping the 40b, it's still going to be DT. But, I've got a 15.5g nano that I'd like to find out if it can be drilled, it's a PCI nano, bare tank. If it can be drilled, it's going to be tied into the new system.

I want to redo the baffles on the 90, to make a MUCH larger fuge area. Then, once it's all set up, I'd like to turn it into a display type, totally open across the front, and I want to have a pair of horses an a pair of ORA mandarins in it, is that doable? They'll all be ORA, so they'll eat prepared foods.

Does anyone see any problems with this? If so, please speak up.

Thanks

Mick

Horses require a ton of stuff to hitch to, so if in the display fuge section you will want to keep it tall and have a bunch of cheato and kalurpa. Also a tall tonga type branch mounted vertically. They seem to like to sleep together in one spot. My manderine has no trouble not having much of a sand bed. He cruises through the kalurpa and just "lays" in it most of the day. Some say low flow, but Nnewhouse has a ton of flow in his horse tank and they love it.

dude, I'm gonna fill it with all kinds of macroalgae, i'm thinkin about doing a 4" aragonite sandbed in the fuge section, that way i can do black sand in teh DT without losing the buffering properties of the aragonite LOL

What kind of horses would you recommend?

No go on the 4" sand bed it will only be a nitrate factory, the buffering is very minimal as it is. Low flow will make your display more suceptable to algae growth on the glass and more prone to red slime. I would recommend adding phosphate and carbon reactors along with a good alk drip system or Kalk reactor. Mandarins are very easily killed if their habitat is not suited to them. I push about 600gph through mine. I would shoot for at least 300. I see 75gph recommended alot for fuges but I like more turnover though my fuge, it just seems to flow better. I also separate my calerpa from the other macros because it is extremly invasive and will win the space battle. It also needs to be pruned alot more or it will stop exporting nutrients and become more suceptable to going asexual.

I'm thinking about staying away from caulerpa strictly because it will go sexual, ive had it do that once before an it wiped out my entire tank, dont wanna go through that again LOL

so just a normal sand bed, or no sand at all in the fuge? fair enough lol

I'm gonna do the baffles myself, so I can make it so that i have as much room in the drain side as i want to give me room for multiple reactors.

I would put live rock rubble in the bottom myself. The only reason I have a 1" sand bed is because the caulerpa and halemeda like it for rooting to and it helps keep the plants from blowing around. The live rock rubble will give your pods places to hide and populate to create a livng food source for your mandarins. If the pods can't reproduce safely the mandarins will wipe them out quickly.

Unfortunatley that is one thing I have not tried yet. I have been tempted to try a pipe fish though. Those things are so cool looking. I know Nick at rose city has had several sea horses in. I think he has 2 in his fuge right now. He also has several kinds of the more exotic or display macros in there too. If u haven't seen his fuge u should next time your there.