First tank-up for 1.5wks

lucid

Nope lowes isn't going to carry what you need. If you can't get to me then check with Nick at Rose city, Patrick at SWF or Nano Reef and see if they have them. I'm sure other stores might also.

If you can make it to me I will give you the whole overflow box and U-tube along with the stockman standpipe I built for it to make it quiet. Handles up to 600 gph. It was running on my first 55 gal tank.

Shane

Whoa!! Shane you are awesome!

Lucid you are crazy if you don't take him up on the offer!!

And guys...I think someone needs to go over there and do a tutorial!! Show him some ropes, so he isn't trying to re-invent the wheel?

Clay

Nope lowes isn't going to carry what you need. If you can't get to me then check with Nick at Rose city, Patrick at SWF or Nano Reef and see if they have them. I'm sure other stores might also.

If you can make it to me I will give you the whole overflow box and U-tube along with the stockman standpipe I built for it to make it quiet. Handles up to 600 gph. It was running on my first 55 gal tank.

Shane

Would Lowe's have what i need? Does it have to be acrylic? What if i went with just a larger all around tube?

Yes,

No,

Be sure it's at least 1".

If you go the Lowes route you can make one out of 1" tubing with a couple of 90 degree elbows. You will not be able to see inside it though. It's critical that there not be any leaks and that both ends are submerged at all times.

Ok, i will probably take Shane up on his offer. I have a question about the back of the tank, is there like a preset plastic paper i can put on the back? It would be kind of hard to paint the back of the tank now that is all set up, and full of water. Any Suggestions?

Here this is something I threw together long ago. It shows the basic idea of how a sumps flow should work.

Water enters from the tank on the right side. Never mind the eggcrate bars there. It should be forced to flow down and under the first wall. Then it should have to rise over a second wall. This second wall dictates the level of water in your sump. The first wall must be taller then the second or this flow through won't work. After the water goes over the second wall it cascades into the last chamber where your return pump resides. This way the water is forced to flow all the way to the bottom of the chamber to get to the pump. This whole setup helps to keep the water flowing properly, keeps you from having "dead spots", keeps your skimmer(in the second chamber) in a constant height of water to be most effective, keeps the most water volume in the sump, and helps you regulate how much water is evaporating better.

picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=611

Remember this is just a basic design. some people have special needs with their sumps and are designed totally different. This one is actually designed for a smaller tank that would probably use a hang on back skimmer since the skimmer compartment is way too small.