baby ocellaris finally hatched

gradth

Well finally after a few months of trying I have coordinated my rotifers and my clown eggs. After the last few batches didnt hatch in the tank I did some reading and asking over at RC and found out I needed to turn the air stone up on the eggs.

Well I put the new batch out there last night, cranked up the air, and I have about 300 babies alive. So I tossed them a bunch of rots and crossed my fingers.(scary)

Have to see how things go. Thanks Dave for the rotifers and the tips a while back.

Ill update if they or any make it. Right now I would be happy with 2 making it.

Not well, had one left this morning. I missed a few things like covering the heater light. To much air after hatch.

Its a learning experience, got a bit farther than last time. Now I just hope my rot food shows up soon so my rots make it.

Ill give it another go with the next batch. The one that was left was showing some color. Couldnt see him tonight, but might be hiding.

Any tips Dave?

yeah, my clowns lay regular so I know ill have another batch in 12 days or so. I got farther than I have in the past so thats a positive. Next step is to get them past the hatch. I thought about giving it up, but now I really just want to prove to myself that I can do it.

• 5 weeks later...

Round 2

So I had a clutch hatch last night.

I stayed up and kept an eye on them until I could tell most had hatched. Turned down the air a bit. Covered the heater light.

Right now I have a whole lot of larvae swimming around.

Im not gonna get my hopes up this time but keeping my fingers crossed.

Is it normal for them to try and swim to the surface? have a bunch that are sticking there nose towards the surface. I had a few spots that might of been letting light in so I fixed those.

Heres to hoping.

Kinda been a stalemate for about a month. Fiasco with my rot food, so my rots almost crashed. Took a bit to get them to take off, luckily I have to tanks of rots(just had a heater short out and cook one). Then I was off a day on a hatch so I missed it and had to wait for the next one.

So far, I dont see any dead larvae. Just keeping the lights out for a while and trying not to peek to much.

It took me awhile to get my clowns to live... lucky for me when I had my rodifer crash there was a guy that breeds fresh fish for a hatery here, so he just gave me more rotifers that day and the other crash I had the clowns were on day 14 so I was able to get them to eat spirilia that a crushed with my mortal and pestle... but The clowns I have are six months I think... and still in there grow out tank, but they are so cute... specialy after they morf..

I leave the light on for 12 hours normally... But only if there is rotifers in the tank. How many gallons do you have the fry in. I normally have a twenty gallon tank with ten gallons of water in it.. At a low p gravity of 1.019-1.022. In ten gallons I put one mill. or less of iodide in the tank. which is what the joyce wilkensons book suggest. and it helps. alot. I do ten percent water changes daily until about day 10-14. when They sart to morf.. after the morf. I start giving them bbs. no more than a day old. And I decyst the eggs in bleach. they hatch faster that way as well.... I'd recemmend that book if someone hasn't already.. it's the best. But you I uthink get the best info from barucuda I bet being that you are close to him... where you live....

in two days if there is death you should look for undersized larve, transfer damage, improper Physical enviroment, Lethal lighting, Improper food size. So were the fry swimming around in the tank? Or were they nose down at the bottom of the tank.. they may not have had good air... If they were at the top of the tank all the time that means add air... but not too much that they blow around. were there yoke sacks large.. When they late hatch they dont have a big stomach an often without enough food they die.... did you have surface oil in the top of the tank. That often makes them suffacate and die. . If they hang out in the corner they are getting side lighting and cant see their food and die...

most of the time i think it's air, or can they see their food... so too much light, side light.. and if their lights on enough to see their food.. Thats what I bet you need to look for I bet they just starved.. you should buy clownfishes by joyce d. wilkerson It's the bible at my house... Or find it at your libary or borrow it... It's like clowns for dummys I bought it for like 16 dollars on e bay..

Though if you ever need help just ask.. i never had a problem with rotifers before. but look and see what you are feeding your rotifers. I just feed mine kent marine phytoplex and they do great.. Also you can like i said crumble to rotifer size microns spirilia. I soak mine in water also so they dont choke.. and see if they will take that... depending on the breed some have done this from day one and no rotifers... I'd still recemend rotifers though... cause you have to suck the bottom of the tank more.