Young Girl needs some help for an aquaculture project

grassi

I've found this post on Cl today.

I wrote her to verify it wasn't a fake/scam kinda thing.

She's real and she needs some help. I'm sure we all have some equipment we can donate.

I will ask her to register on pnwmas.org and we can use this thread for donations.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/for/1974786930.html

Posting has been flagged for removal - FYI

Hello everyone, Iam not a scammer.

im heading out the door so this is going to be brief.

here is my ad:

Hello my name is Erica, I am a student at Mt.Hood community college and I am working on putting an aquaculture project together.

I am a second year in the Fisheries program, and I am the youngest person to enroll in the program, and I hope to be the youngest person to graduate from the fisheries program.

In order for me to graduate, I need to have a field project- or in my case, an aquaculture project. I am held back financially, and I could really use some help.

Both of my parents have disabilities and are unable to work and contribute to my education. Federal Aid paid for my tuition and books, but everything else comes out of my pocket, my empty pocket.

If anyone can spare tanks, plastic tubs, pumps, filters, PVC/tubing, or any other mics. aquarium supplies, I would be so grateful. The bigger the better- the more space I have the more accurate my data will be.

My goal is to set up a small scale crayfish propagation project directed in the aspect for human consumption. I am young and ambitious, and confident in this project. I have all the information and will, but all I need now are the resources.

I don't have much to trade. I have two desert king snakes, one male and one female that would come with their tanks and stand. I also have one wild "eye spot" severum that I think is male, that would do well in any 45 gal+ aquarium. When he reaches maturity, he will be one heck of a beautiful specimen.

Please spread the word for me, I really need the help to further my education.

That would be really cool- I'll look into the times.

I would really love to post some pictures of me at the Mt. Hood CC fish hatchery but my laptops hard drive crashed a couple days ago. Just in time for school that started last week, lol.

I reposted my CL ad under "wanted" insted of "general". Hopefully that will do the trick. :)

Erica,

Welcome to the club. I do have one question tho. If you are going to do a small scale crayfish project do you have to keep the water cold or will room temperature water work? Just curious.

I have a 29 gallon tank that I can give you and I can look around as I may have an extra pump or 2 around.

Dave

That would help so, so much! Please PM me so I can get your location.

The water temperature would not have to be altered. My basement stays about 70 degrees all year, perfect for mud bugs. I wouldn't be harvesting them from the wild, so I wouldn't have to drop the temps. I am probably going to have to order crayfish from one of the southern states like texas or louisiana from an offical farm.

Thank you so much for your generosity!

Erica,

Welcome to the club. I do have one question tho. If you are going to do a small scale crayfish project do you have to keep the water cold or will room temperature water work? Just curious.

I have a 29 gallon tank that I can give you and I can look around as I may have an extra pump or 2 around.

Dave

Shame you missed the meeting at Barelycuda's clownhouse!

But seems you are gonna go there, so be prepared to see a lot of clowns.

I have some spare used plumbing (maybe a bucket plenty of it), the water station I told you about and a pump (a gen-x 30 or 40 I don't remember).

C'mon guys.. I know you have used stuff you don't need anymore...

Why not get them from one of the local lakes or streams? I have a trap or two I could loan you to use to catch them. Just throw a can of catfood in each and toss them in for 12 hours or so. We pulled in about 50 earlier this summer at Timothy Lake and we only had the traps in for a day.

I was just doing some more research-

Apparently I can buy live crayfish from the pacific seafood market on powell that are harvested from lake billy chinook.

Rick- your right. I originally wanted to take juv. signal crayfish (general pacific native) from the wild and do diet study on them. My problem with that is one- I would have to have a scientific take permit for live transport and for the research afterwards. I can buy the same fish legally at the pacific seafood market, but they can't gaurantee the size the get each shipment. If I get adult crayfish, they wont grow as much in a short period of time, thus unaccurate data.

If I could, I would drop my own two crayfish traps overnight somewhere and keep all the specimens of my choosing, and claim that I bought them from a local live seller.

The problem with that is the season for crayfishing is coming to an end- all the bugs are burrowing down for winter. They can still be caught, but I simply wouldn't be able to catch what I need. I would only make one trip sence I would be having another student drive me on a favor, and the gas and time is too much. I wish I could, but I don't have the resources.

Hey michael, thanks for the interest.

In general, I need tanks or large plastic tubs. I need floor space over height for the crayfish.

I also need pumps, Filters and/or filter acc. or parts, plumbing, and maybe a water cooler.

I basicaly need everything, and everyones small contributions will make such a difference.

I was just doing some more research-

Apparently I can buy live crayfish from the pacific seafood market on powell that are harvested from lake billy chinook.

Rick- your right. I originally wanted to take juv. signal crayfish (general pacific native) from the wild and do diet study on them. My problem with that is one- I would have to have a scientific take permit for live transport and for the research afterwards. I can buy the same fish legally at the pacific seafood market, but they can't gaurantee the size the get each shipment. If I get adult crayfish, they wont grow as much in a short period of time, thus unaccurate data.

If I could, I would drop my own two crayfish traps overnight somewhere and keep all the specimens of my choosing, and claim that I bought them from a local live seller.

The problem with that is the season for crayfishing is coming to an end- all the bugs are burrowing down for winter. They can still be caught, but I simply wouldn't be able to catch what I need. I would only make one trip sence I would be having another student drive me on a favor, and the gas and time is too much. I wish I could, but I don't have the resources.

Why is the scientific take permit needed? Oregon allows anyone year round to catch 100 crayfish per day and have 200 in posession. No license required. Perhaps there is something I missed regarding scientific research though.

not to mention Timothy lake(among most cascade lakes) is cold....brrrrr.

Freshwater inverts are super cool.

Almost every lake or stream in the area has crayfish in it. (Johnson Creek, Eagle Creek, Clackamas River, Sandy River, etc., etc., etc.) I only mentioned Timothy Lake because that is where I was earlier in the summer.

Why is the scientific take permit needed? Oregon allows anyone year round to catch 100 crayfish per day and have 200 in posession. No license required. Perhaps there is something I missed regarding scientific research though.

My thoughts exactely;

Don't ask...Don't tell.

Good luck even finding fish and game enforcing the laws or a State trooper for that matter-oops here I go again.

Ever been to Bonneville Dam and watch the poachers I mean the fisherman-(flame)

I'll follow the thread to see what all is left after those that have chimed in donate up,, I am sure to have a pump or two laying around if needed

Basically, yes.

I have two kiddie pools that ive considered using, but the land lord doesn't like that idea. I need to be able to have stable tanks that I know that they won't bust and poor over 50 gallons of water onto my finished basement floor.

So you need more like kiddy pools than aquariums? What kind of filtration do you need? I'm guessing that water movement isnt a big factor