Which light would you pick?

TRENT

Need help picking a light for a 120 gallon standard Reef tank. Would like to be able to keep anything I wanted. Thanks in advance.

48" Aqua Medic Ocean Light 2x250w metal halide; used 400.00 no bulbs http://www.aquacave.com/spacelight-ex-48-metal-halidebrfixture-2x250w-hqibr-2x54w-t5-by-aquamedic-1113.html

Or

Sunlight Supply Tek-Light T5 48 inch, 8X54 Watt Fixture; used 325.00 w/bulbs

http://www.directaquarium.com/Sunlight-Supply-Tek-Light-48in-8X54w-p/12611.htm

Thats a tough one. Both are great lights. Do you have a preference MH vs T5? How old are the T5 bulbs?? Is money an issue??

Lights are 2 weeks old supposedly. He had the lights on a 55 gallon and found it was to much light.

I'm pretty new at SW so I don't have a preference on lighting type.

Money is always an issue but I'm the type that will spend a little extra to get what I want and not have to upgrade in a year.

Thanks

I worry about only 2 MH on a 120 gallon...I am running 3x 250w MH with 4 pc on my 135gallon and it is barely enough...400w would be too much...

DrMerle

So you think the T5 fixture? Am I suppose to look at watts per gallon or is that old school?

R-3 yes it's a 4' tank

I worry about only 2 MH on a 120 gallon...I am running 3x 250w MH with 4 pc on my 135gallon and it is barely enough...400w would be too much...

DrMerle

I run 3 250w on my 300g display and I hit 250 with the light meter on the sand. (24" deep tank). 950 on the top water and 550 in the middle. It's all about the reflectors.