WTB: Monti Cap frags

J-Dog

Were these frags just added to the system? I just had issues with my tank as well with some monti cap frags along with a bunch of other corals. If they came from a tank with different parameters it could cause a huge swing for those ones. Not sure if that is the case for you but I'm sure that's what happened with my setup.

I have two different kinds of green and have expereinced wierd things with them as well, I purchased two good sized frags around the same time, one of them was purchased browned out and not doing very well from the place I got it from, and the other just faded but looked healthy, Once in my tank the following weeks that went by both colored up nicely the brown one turned a beautiful green and start showing growth, the other one did nothing...I have since moved them to a new tank and placed them under new lighting (stronger, with new bulbs) and the one that was doing the best is now fading a bit and the one that never showed much growth is growing like crazy, and they are both Monti Caps...so(scratch)...They are both on one end and they receive the same light and same flow...so I have no idea...

Could it depend on how healthy the mother colony was that it was fragged off of? the newness of it being fragged? how it was clued to the rock/frag plug ect.....The aclimation process? There are so many variables and on top of that I agree each frag seems to act totally different...so maybe you just ran into a little string of bad luck getting frags..???(scratch)

I am fairly new to them, but could the size of the frags be any issue? most of the frags I have picked up have been fairly large frags...I did get a tiney one once and the growth on the larger frags is substantialy more...so I wonder if the larger the frag the better they might aclimate or do??? I have no idea(scratch)

Thanks for all the tips guys, but what I really want is to try another frag and see how it does. The 2 frags that faded look healthy, just don't have much color now. Maybe they will bounce back, maybe not. If I could try some new frags, then if they fade again, I know I'm doing something wrong. If they stay healthy, then my first frags were the problem. So if u have any frags, please let me know, so I can get this problem fixed.

Did they turn to brown or bleach?

Have you tried moving them around the tank? I frag my montis all the time and get different color results from frags in different places in the same tank.

It may be that your tank has nitrate or phosphate levels that are just barely enough to start browning certain things out, in which case just a little tweaking of your water will put the parameters back where you want them. In my case I got better color on all my montis when I started rinsing frozen fish food before serving. Gets rid of the "juice" which is liquid pollution, and sometimes carries nasty bacteria. Acros look better too. Phosphate was at the lowest level Seachem can read, but apparently that is enough to brown SPS. No nitrate was found. Also switched salt after finding phosphate 2x higher in newly made up water than in my tank... that will likely help too.

I hope it works out. Let us know what you try, and how it goes. Blue monti sounds really cool, as does yellow. Never seen either, so hope you can get them going again and sell me some frags.

Kate

I got some orange' date=' green, and purple. I'll sell you some good size for cheap.[/quote']

I got a good size frag of the purple from Danik and it is looking great on my tank.

As mostly said, be sure that your water and light is good, then they will thrive and you will have plenty soon.

I love caps