Couple Sand Questions

CrazyInside

All right so right now in my jbj nano I have white sugar sand which is driving me crazy. No matter how much I direct my flow over rocks and what not it blows around and makes hills and covers the corals and looks terrible.

So my first question is what is the best way to switch out sand types? Just take a little out every once in a while tell i get most of it then add a little bit of the new sand at time tell it's full again? Or just go for it and change it all at once?

Second is I like the tahitian moon black sand. And with my MH 14k blue bulb makes corals look good with black background/sand. So has anyone tried this sand? Pros and cons of black vs white sand?

How long has the sand been in there? Usually after a month or so the sand usually settles down and stops blowing around unless there is flow directed right at it.

Regarding black sand from what I've read it looks great at first but after awhile doesn't look so good. I have no first hand experience with it though.

For changing it out I would do all of it at once. Otherwise it will mix together and be hard to get out. Just be careful if the tank has been set up for awhile because the sand can release nasty junk into the water column when it gets stirred up. For a tank that had been set up for a long time I would move everything into buckets first including most of the water. Then remove all of the sand and remaining water. Then put your base rocks in and follow that with the sand, water, and then the rest.

Second is I like the tahitian moon black sand. And with my MH 14k blue bulb makes corals look good with black background/sand. So has anyone tried this sand? Pros and cons of black vs white sand?

This is exactly what I am using, I got it from The Wet Spot (Freshwater Fish store)...Amanda (my wife) is also using the sugar fine white sand, and from watching her it is very light stuff, and if you have gobies watch out for them sifting sand onto things like your plate corals and such, basically anything that is near the bottom...lol

I like the Tahitian Moon sand as it is a little heavier, and as far as it showing debris, I personally don't think it shows any more than white...but that is just my opinion...to me (call me wierd) to me debris and algea show worse on white sand...but...(nutty)....lol

The Tahitian Moon sand can be used for Marine/Saltwater aquariums, this is the second tank I have used it on, and I like it....its different, not many people use black sand in their tanks...it just gives the reef tank a different look, some people don't like it...but I do:D

P9130037.jpg

Thanks for all the replys.

The nano has been up for 7 months and the sand will stay down for the most part, but my scooter blenny will move it around then it's every where, same with the nass snails.. when they come up it's everywhere lol. I think i'll give the black sand a go because even if it does look bad it's just a nano.. not like changing out a 100+ gallon tank lol.

ReefSafari - I checked out some of your pictures of the black sand and I love it :D.

And thanks rick for the info, I think sense it's been up for awhile I'll take everything out and replace it. Shouldn't take to long for it to become "live" again lol

All right do follow up to my sugar sand issue.

I ended up tearing down everything abd getting the sugar sand out and switched over to the moon black and it looks great! And everyone thing seems to be going well. I also changed my stock 10k bulb out for a phoenix 14k and wow it looks awesome.

Here is a before and after with the bulb and you can see the new sand.

The pictures are with my phone but you get the idea

2010-09-21_18-30-50_165.jpg[/img]

2010-09-22_18-36-49_264.jpg[/img]