Just saying hey

jos3f

Hey all. been lurking on this website for the past month or so and decided I might as well start posting. I'm starting my first saltwater tank. Got a great deal on Craigslist on a 75 gallon acrylic with a stand and canopy so it should be fun. Been doing a lot of research online so hopefully everything goes okay.

Thanks guys. Yeah I plan on making a build thread soon will post pictures. I'm going fowlr because I'm really more into the cool fish aspect of aquariums. I don't have the reef bug.. yet.. but I think it will be a year or 2 before I even consider it. So far I've been to 2 of the sponsor stores, rosecity aquariums and upscales. Rosecity was cool,had a great selection of livestock. I have to say though the guy in upscales is awesome. He was really informative and even drew diagrams on little post its to show me how stand pipes work in internal overflows. Really great place and helped give me a good idea of how I want my sump set up.

I think once I get it up and cycled, I'm going to start out with a pair of clowns. despite them being so cliche i still think they are cool fish. from there maybe a dwarf angel. But ideally I want a porcupine puffer and niger trigger. And it may just be a pipe dream since I've read so many horror stories, but I really want a clown trigger. I know size may be a issue down the road, but I want to be able to say that at one point I've owned those fish, even if it means me having to donate or sell them down the road. it's going to be a slow process for me since I'm strapped for cash, but I'm really excited!

Welcome to the club Jos! I have a 150 FOWLR (well agressive now as I added softie corals). My thread is under my signature. It's the 150 gallon aggressive. Since you are only doing fish my advice is to try the fish you really want. You should also check out The coral maffia (Isaac) which is down the road from Nick's and Tim at Westside is in your area. Both are helpful guys. I have a little clown trigger and love it.

I have bought most of my fish from Isaac and he has been super helpful because with an aggressive tank you just don't know how the fish are going to work out. The marroon clown was picking on the clown trigger so I took him back to Isaac and had him hold him and let the clown trigger grow up a bit and about a month later reintroduced the maroon clown and all is well.

You're not going to get that kind of service online or at just any fish store.