New cabinet completed...finally

inkto

It's been a long on-going project stuck between several other projects but I finally completed the cabinet for a new setup...I just might, someday, be able to look at my livestock from the front again instead of from the top of the rubbermaid that everything currently lives in. DOH!

I have a 100g tank waiting for this... The stands is for a 4'x2' footprint and stands 36" tall. Maple hardwood and ply with walnut inlays in the top, bottom moulding, and at the handles. It has diamond plunge stop fluting on the side trim and bookmatched door panels... full height interior with a removable center brace and full 3/4" material throughout for sound dampening. Three coats of finish and caulked interior seams for spill protection. huh A pic may say it better. :)

All I have to do now is spend a grand on equipment and figure out how to put it all in there... anyone have a grand laying around?

:) Ben

Cabinet-corner.jpg

Cabinet-open.jpg

Cabinet-flutes.jpg

Cabinet-handles.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the really nice responses... I appreciate it :)

36" is kinda tall isn't it? Won't it be hard to get into without a ladder?

I'm 6'5" and the tank is only 20" so I'll be fine :) I much prefer the higher stands for viewing than more standard heights. I debated going to 40" but didn't like the visual imbalance it created with the other dims.

...did you do the walnut inlays from scratch?

yes and if I didn't love doing it I would have set it on fire several times throughout the many design changes. Overall I prefer the clean modern lines and I'm glad I stopped where I did. There is always the next stand to try new things on...

Just out of curiosity what kind of dollar figure would the average reefer place on a custom furniture grade cabinet? I know upscales regularly has cabinets in the $600 and up category...if I were to place a value on this based on material and labor it would probably be around $700-800. If I had the time I would love to build furniture on the side...

Thanks for your thoughts,

Ben

If I had the time I would love to build furniture on the side...

Well, I think you should look into it! I think people would be willing to pay for quality custom work which you can certainly deliver to them. I don't know how you would go about it... Start a website up with pictures of your work and encourage people to contact you if they would like something done? Go to other sites and show off your beautiful work and see if you can get any bites that way?

I know I'm rooting for you! (fingers)

Stacy

Well' date=' I think you should look into it! [/quote']

Thanks for the encouragment! I wish I had the time right now... I'm contemplating a job change so hopefully I'll be able to find more time for the shop in the near future.

...coming from an ex-cabinetmaker.

What kind of work did you do, Cuda?

Thanks for the really nice responses... I appreciate it :)

I'm 6'5" and the tank is only 20" so I'll be fine :) I much prefer the higher stands for viewing than more standard heights. I debated going to 40" but didn't like the visual imbalance it created with the other dims.

yes and if I didn't love doing it I would have set it on fire several times throughout the many design changes. Overall I prefer the clean modern lines and I'm glad I stopped where I did. There is always the next stand to try new things on...

Just out of curiosity what kind of dollar figure would the average reefer place on a custom furniture grade cabinet? I know upscales regularly has cabinets in the $600 and up category...if I were to place a value on this based on material and labor it would probably be around $700-800. If I had the time I would love to build furniture on the side...

Thanks for your thoughts,

Ben

You could get that with alot people...I wish I could afford it. I would build one myself, but I live in an apartment and have no tools, plus no where to work on one...That is what I was going up to my dad's for, but he is really busy now, so I have uncomplete stand, but have everything to get it up and going just need to finish it DOH!

But that stand is absolutely amazing...If you ever get bored and want to build another for fun, Ill pay for materials :D and provide all the beer (afterwards) and pizza you can eat. :)

This was my best attempt at a stand for a 20 long. Even with my wife (Spayne) as my cheerleader. It is no comparison to the work you have completed, but I was happy with it. Your stand is very nice.

Jay

DSC03025.jpg

Hey thanks for compliments, again... it makes the hours put into it all the more worthwhile.

but I live in an apartment and have no tools' date=' plus no where to work on one...[/quote']

I know how you feel... moving away from my dad's shop was a painful experience. I've been piecing together a shop of my own over the past year but I'm still stuck in a small one car garage. I'd give my left, uh, arm... for a bigger shop. :)

This was my best attempt at a stand for a 20 long. Even with my wife (Spayne) as my cheerleader.

I think it looks good Chief! When it comes down to it it's about fussing over the details and not cutting corners... I can tell you're into that too.

And I'm thinking we definitley need to get some official 'PNWMAS Cheerleader' t-shirts and get one to your wife at the very least... :)

I'm glad to have an official cheering.gif available, Spayne... Thanks!

Ben