Need some opinions

Chief

Got a serious problem. My tank is a 240 gallon acrylic 8X2X2. It has 3 openings in the top. On the far right opening there is now a crack/break in the acrylic that stretches to the corner.

Can I patch this with a piece of acrylic and some weld-on? Or is my tank toast? If the tank is toast then I am going to be seriously downgrading. I have 2 tanks that I have not set up yet a 50 gallon cube and a 60 gallon hex. Unfortunately, this is an in wall tank, so I will have to patch the hole in the wall also.

This sucks. (sad)

Jay

can you post pics of the crack? Call james at envision, even though he didn't build it, he will tell you how it should be properly fixed. Sometimes the solvent used will cause crazing in highly stressed areas like this. I would probably use weld-on 40 to place a patch over the top and bottom depending upon where it is.

Be prepared to Drain some water from your main tank into the others to reduce some stress while you perform your repair. I had a similar problem on a 75 that I repaired, but it held without concern with some home depot acrylic and weld-on.

The shearing strength of acrylic is amazing. Its like balsa wood. lol

Thomas

Is the crack seperating? If there isn't a gap then weld on can be used to penetrate it and bond it back together. Adding a patch as well will add some strength and insurance. Be absolutely sure the acrylic is clean before you do it though. If it's been wet with saltwater then chances are the crack itself has some in it which will keep the weld on from bonding the way it should.

Thanks for the advice and for the offer on supplies. I ended up going to multicraft plastics in Eugene and picked up some scrap acrylic and some weld on 4 & 16. I patched both top and bottom.

I think this is only going to be a temporary fix. Time for a new tank.

I'm thinking of righting a few wrongs with my last design. I am thinking of a 8' X 3' X 18" tank. That would give me front access to the tank which would be nice for cleaning. Or I could go 8' X 4' X 18". That would be awesome. I am thinking of building a plywood tank with possibly a starfire front pane. This could be a lot of fun, and I could finally have a really deep tank.

Jay