Orca Refugium Systems...Good, Bad? Opinions?

ReefSafari

I stumbled across this website searching for info on Refugiums and Sumps, I have thought about going cheap and making my own sump, but these seemed pretty nice and reasonably priced. I was curious if anyone had heard of them, I couldn't find a reviews good or bad about them. Has anyone ever purchased a Refugium/Sump "Kit" before? Or do most people just build thier own?

I was trying to calculate what it would cost to make my own vs. buying a kit style that that is ready to add water...Are there advantages to making your own? is it substantially cheaper? I was adding things up, and it seemed if I went out and did my own say with a 20g aquarium, with a nice Protien Skimmer and overflow and return pump, ect... I probably could save a little money, but is it worth it? I guess it depends on how handy you are in DIY stuff...

Anyway, I thought I would see what you guys thought..Down at the very bottom you see a few examples of some of the "Refugium Packages"

http://www.refugium-filter.com/refugium-systems.php

it depends on the type of refugium your building. theres so many kinds from just biological filters to full blown displays that harbor livestock.

Well I am looking to put it in the stand under my 40g Breeder...I basically was wanting somewhere to grow Cheato/Macro Algea, a place for a Protien Skimmer and be able to utilize a surface skimmer with maybe a couple of return outlets on say a SQWID type alternating return.

I have been looking at what seems to be a popular sump/refugium with a 20g long, These just seemed to have everything I was looking for (Not sure if what I was looking for is what I really need..lol) but they looked nice, and seemed fairly reasonably priced, but I was curious for those who have built thier own Sump/Refugiums, was it comparable price and function of those being offered by that website? Would I be better off trying to do my own? Never had a sump/refugium before, so I am trying to learn, I was just curious if anyone had ever heard of them, and if they seemed cheezy or ok and would work...

I am personally against putting a refugium in the same area as the filter socks, skimmers and return pumps. the flow for a refugium needs to be constant and low in the 300-500 gph range. if you have any kind of die off it needs to be in a contained area thats not going to get back into your equipment or display. macro algae needs to be pruned regularly or it will die off and go asexual putting nutrients back into the water instead of exporting them. when you prune macro algae it will stir up junk in the water which is why i have mine staged in its own tank. i get very little to none of the plant life in the sump and none has made it to the display.

I am personally against putting a refugium in the same area as the filter socks' date=' skimmers and return pumps. the flow for a refugium needs to be constant and low in the 300-500 gph range. if you have any kind of die off it needs to be in a contained area thats not going to get back into your equipment or display. macro algae needs to be pruned regularly or it will die off and go asexual putting nutrients back into the water instead of exporting them. when you prune macro algae it will stir up junk in the water which is why i have mine staged in its own tank. i get very little to none of the plant life in the sump and none has made it to the display.[/quote']

I am guessing the return pump is going to probably be in that same range...300-500 gph maybe a little more??...So the flow should be right in that range I am guessing...I would use something like a Vortec Pump to provide flow in the tank iteslf.

I had heard that some Macro doesn't go asexual, Does Cheato do that? I could have sworn I heard/read somewhere that some don't...do all of them go Asexual?

I read a few opinions where some feel the incomming water should hit the Macro Algea first before going to the Skimmer...but most seem to hit the Skimmer first then let it go to the Macro Algea....(scratch)

Trying to figure out the best way to go about setting up filtration for a 40g Breeder...

You can have a refugium in the same container that act as a sump.

You can "tee" the line from the overflow and throttle it with a couple of ball valves so the one going to the fuge it is gonna be slower.

The most efficient sump/fuge design (for space and cost) is the one with return section in the middle: overflow-skimmer / return / fuge (same from left to right or viceversa).

This way you can have a 2 flow sump. Return pump and ato in the center one.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any more opinions? Here is a question, I have talked to some people that say they don't like to Skim the water prior to the "Tank" water comming into the refugium as the macro algea will not do as well with water that has been skimmed prior to it entering the refugium, it makes scense but what do you think? The other way for me to look at it is the "Tank" water is skimmed pulling out a majority of the nasties before it goes to the refugium to be extra filtered by the macro algea before it gets returned back to the tank...

which way do you think would work better....

Option 1-Overflow to Protien Skimmer then to refugium then to return and tank...

Option 2- Having what grassi mentioned where the return is in the middle and refugium on one side and protien skimmer on the other...

for some reason in my sleepy mind this morning it just seems like the tank water would then be either filtered by the macro algea or the protien skimmer...its just not in that perfect line of process....where option one ALL the tank water is skimmed and then goes to the refugium...and then returned...

Here is a pic of what I was looking at...

2412%20w%20bi%20skimmer%20for%20web%20site.jpg