I have ICK!!!

NoobtoSalt

Ok so it's not that bad.. but my blue hippo tang and my blue jaw trigger are currently not feeling so well in the tank...

I have a cleaner shrimp but I just got it the other day and it's pretty small and hiding out in the tank. Not even sure if the fish know it's in the tank yet. My old blood shrimp used to clean off the fish when they had a parasite but my new one I have yet to see do any cleaning.

I bought the super duper garlic at SWF today and just dosed the food for the fish. I also bought a container of API melafix but wanted others advice on using it.

Should I use melafix as well to help with other parasites or should I just continue to dose with garlic and call it good? I'm sure the fish will pull through and I hate having to dose in the tank if I don't have to. The one thing that changed in the tank is my temp is lower than I normally keep it. It has been running between 75-78 all week long. I used to keep it a little warmer at about 77-81. will the change in temp affect the fish with Ick?

Any suggestions are appricated.

Thanks again Reefit and Lewisriverfisherman for recomending the garlic for my guys!

those temps are perfect. i would wager alk or salinity changes would cause an ich outbreak along with changing tanks probably stressed them out alot. just keep feeding garlic infused food, keep an eye on alk, ph and salinity. don't do any water changes unless its absolutely necessary. if you decide to dose melafix, watch the skimmer it will start overflowing. you may even want to turn it off for a bit.

those temps are perfect. i would wager alk or salinity changes would cause an ich outbreak along with changing tanks probably stressed them out alot. just keep feeding garlic infused food' date=' keep an eye on alk, ph and salinity. don't do any water changes unless its absolutely necessary. if you decide to dose melafix, watch the skimmer it will start overflowing. you may even want to turn it off for a bit.[/quote']

I was just reading the back of the container of the Melafix and it suggested to turn off the skimmer for 7 days and dose for 7 days straight. Then after that turn it back on and expect to have a lot of foam caused by the dosing. I have no doubt that it was the stress from the move to the new tank (I hope you know I was teasing you about it)..

I was just reading the back of the container of the Melafix and it suggested to turn off the skimmer for 7 days and dose for 7 days straight. Then after that turn it back on and expect to have a lot of foam caused by the dosing. I have no doubt that it was the stress from the move to the new tank (I hope you know I was teasing you about it)..

yea don't dose it like it says on the bottle. LOL you'll be swimming in foam.

i dose it once a week if i see ich. so far i have done this with no losses yet with 5 fish. workin on the one in the frag tank right now and all is going well.

yea don't dose it like it says on the bottle. LOL you'll be swimming in foam.

i dose it once a week if i see ich. so far i have done this with no losses yet with 5 fish. workin on the one in the frag tank right now and all is going well.

So would you recomend to leave the skimmer running or maybe I should dose when I'm here? I'm just worried that when I'm off at work my wife will have no idea how to deal with the skimmer overflowing. Maybe I won't dose with this until Friday when I'm off..(laugh)

Garlic extreme

Raise temp

Uv sterlizer

Worked for me everytime. And since adding UV haven't had an outbreak or even trace.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

How high of a temp is ok for the corals? I don't typically run it ever higher than 82 even with the halides on.

I've thought about a UV sterilizer just for my algea as well to help out.

I have kept my temp between 84 and 86 when I had the outbreak, I was told it helps the "virus" or whatever....parasite, mature, when it matures it releases into the water again where the UV sterlizer can kill it. The slower it matures the more damage it does....that is what I was told.

Re: I have ICK!!!

Get a UV....I have some garlic extreme and can pour some in something for you but pay close attention to diet....if it decreases you may be in trouble. I would consider raising temp a couple degrees....I have never lowered mine back since I raised it....my tank runs "hot" so to speak, but corals are a growin and fish are happy so why change? I am not saying do it, just that I would, but its your tank, ultimately you either reap benefits or suffer concequences, so you decide.

Get a UV....I have some garlic extreme and can pour some in something for you but pay close attention to diet....if it decreases you may be in trouble. I would consider raising temp a couple degrees....I have never lowered mine back since I raised it....my tank runs "hot" so to speak, but corals are a growin and fish are happy so why change? I am not saying do it, just that I would, but its your tank, ultimately you either reap benefits or suffer concequences, so you decide.

I bought some of the garlic power made by Brightwell aquatics yesterday at SWF. I looked at my heater this morning and noticed that it somehow got turned down so I turned it up just a little bit. once my halides turn on the temp goes up a couple of degrees as well. I might pickup a UV filter today. Ive been considering one for algea growth anyways.

our tank had ick and started getting velvet bateria. I learned that the white spots are the "shells" of the parisite and they seal up on the fish during the day and when the lights are off, they open/release and try to bread. In the evening when the lights go off is best time to treat the tank. we also added a uv lamp with the proper water flow(gph needed is listed with the uv lamp) to treat bacteria and parisites. we also made sure there was good water curculation thoughout the tank. the tank has been very healthy ever since. I would error on the side of caution and prevention. (we lost several fish within days of the first sign of ick, I was told that there may have been underlining issues that attacked/affected the fish once they were weakened buy the ick)

if your fish are healthy then they will pull through the ick outbreak. i have seen fish with ick from being moved to a new tank and pull thru it with out even dosing anything to treat them. as long as your fish are eating they should do fine. the healthier the fish the better chance of them fighting it off and getting rid of it.

I have to agree, in my limited experience that is exactly what I did, I had a Royal Gramma that shortly after getting it came down with ich, and I just gave it time, I didn't do anything, and she kept feeding and shortly after that, it went away and has never been back...

To hitchhike on this thread. I have a small clown that has white spots all over him(ich I assume) should I remove him to my QT or treat the whole tank? he is the only fish out of 4 showing any signs. I don't know how long he's had the spots as I've been out of town for 4 days. Mike

To hitchhike on this thread. I have a small clown that has white spots all over him(ich I assume) should I remove him to my QT or treat the whole tank? he is the only fish out of 4 showing any signs. I don't know how long he's had the spots as I've been out of town for 4 days. Mike

I wouldn't do either. Dosing meds never seems to work and only makes the rest of your inhabitants more suceptable to getting it. Just keep your parameters stable and dose your food with garlic extract. Keep them eating well. Check to make sure it's not just fine sand. Clown fish like to mess around in the sand sometimes

Blue Tangs and ich are like this thread and drama...They go hand in hand. I wouldn't be too worried if you see ich on a blue tang, I would be more shocked if yours never got it. Fish normally can fight off the parasite without any help at all, which is why all fish normally don't have it or get it. When an environmental factor stresses the fish, their natural defenses drop and the parasite can then feed.

Blue Tangs and ich are like this thread and drama...They go hand in hand. I wouldn't be too worried if you see ich on a blue tang' date=' I would be more shocked if yours never got it. Fish normally can fight off the parasite without any help at all, which is why all fish normally don't have it or get it. When an environmental factor stresses the fish, their natural defenses drop and the parasite can then feed.[/quote']

I was less worried about the tang than I was the trigger. It was the first time it had gotten it since I've had it. I've had the fish for 3 months now and it's been healthy and happy.

Good news though. Garlic kicked the ich... neither of the fish have spots on them. Not sure if I've ever seen a fish kick ich that fast before. Love the super powered garlic drops!