PICO MADNESS

Gill

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think you need the heater, but you do need some flow...you can get a nano koralia and aim it at the surface to agitate the water...this will oxygenate the water and keep the rock and sand healthy. Then you can add a fish...you could do something cool like a catalina goby...they are cold water and small...I think they top out at .75-1". They are on the opposite end of the scale from your Mata Tang. =0)

Without the water flow the rock and sand won't get enough oxygen and the bacteria will just die...in a few days it will smell like a really nasty sewer main break in 100 degree weather.

The thing about Bettas is that they came out of 'still' water...puddles and estuaries with low oxygen. They are made for that type of life. Nemo isn't.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Matt

Guess I should have perused the entire thread before telling you to add flow@ =0)

Looks way cool man. I'll show you the one I am setting up when you come with the Mata. It's pretty cool. You may get a kick out of it.

Matt

Ya that little damsel was having a hard time breathing (rapid gill movments) so I threw in some flow. I am having a really hard time keeping the water quality high enough for my little blue so I am either going to re-home him or buy a larger nano, but that would not make the wife happy (wife)LOL. I really like the pico though its nice to have a tank in the kitchen (naughty)

Rapid gill movement

Ya that little damsel was having a hard time breathing (rapid gill movments) so I threw in some flow. I am having a really hard time keeping the water quality high enough for my little blue so I am either going to re-home him or buy a larger nano' date=' but that would not make the wife happy (wife)LOL. I really like the pico though its nice to have a tank in the kitchen (naughty)[/quote']

That can also be indicative of high nitrates, the gills flapping?

Pretty small tank for a hippo, hope you have room somewhere else for when he gets big. My tank is 90 gallons, and I could tell my royal blue tang needed more space, and I was forced to take him in to an LFS. My tank is 4 feet long, I think they need about 6 feet to be happy.

Greg

That can also be indicative of high nitrates, the gills flapping?

Pretty small tank for a hippo, hope you have room somewhere else for when he gets big. My tank is 90 gallons, and I could tell my royal blue tang needed more space, and I was forced to take him in to an LFS. My tank is 4 feet long, I think they need about 6 feet to be happy.

Greg

I definitely agree!!! I have a 6 foot 125 but I already have a blue in there and I now am thinking there will be too much of an aggression issue, so I am left with the question of what to do? I hate to say it but I think at this size most LFS's would be a death sentence. (scratch)(scratch)(scratch)

I have a Fluval Edge I am putting together for a pico tank. I want to do a 3 gallon bowfront too...but I want one of the glass ones. I can't find one. I'm going to build a micro skimmer and a micro sump for it with a half gallon capacity or so. I'm using LED lighting for it that plugs directly into the stock fixture (halogen) and puts out more light with less heat. I'm going to try to get an oregon or cali tort and a clam for it. I'm going to line the sump with pulsing zenia like the germans...we'll see how it goes.

Right now I have a 15 gallon nano with a crap load of corals in it. I have three blue hippos in it. When you come over you'll have to check it out.

Matt

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Rics and Zoas will do great. I think my tank fluctuates too much for sps but if you have yours covered then you probably will not have a problem keeping sps. I say that because with no evaporation you will be able to control salinity and ph much more easily.

One cool thing about my tank that you can't see in the pictures is all the pods. With no fish I have hundreds of little shrimp swimming around. It is kind of cool how there are all these little things that would go unnoticed in a larger system. I think you will really enjoy the smaller system. I just wish I had started with a cool rimless like yours.