How difficult is it to level concrete on in a garage floor?

So I'm setting up my temperate/coldwater tank in my garage and I've been moving it all around trying to find a level place for it. Well my garage has a slight angle to it so that any water will run out of the garage and not towards the house I'm assuming. Its not off by very much, but its enough to bug me(flame)

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to lay a thin layer of concrete on top of the existing slab on just a big enough area to level out my tank?

If it wasn't for the fact that I want to keep the tank on its existing wheels I would just shim it and make it stationary. But it sure is nice to wheel it around and be able to access everything from all sides, and the drain valves for water changes are accessed from the back.

Anyone here do any concrete work and think they could chime in, give me some pointers, or better yet come over and give me a hand in trade for frags or something?

There are many prodcuts you could use. Look-up a company called MASCO or Knife river Concrete Products in Hillsboro. There are different "self leveling floor prodcuts" available. Another layer of concrete will not work as it is too thin of a coating and will not bond to the layer below. Lowes or Homedepot probably has products as well, but the copanies above can give great information for application.

There are several self leveling concrete applications that will bond to existing surfaces. Look for a concrete tool and stamping supply company in your area. Most products provide a strong 1/4 to 3/8 thick layer bonded mechanically and chemicaly to the existing surface.

Awesome' date=' thanks guys :) I was thinking that another layer of concrete might be to thin and brittle.[/quote']

correct, you would need a rebar reinforced 5000lb high strength concrete mix probably about 5-6" thick to do a slab without it falling to peices from the weight. There are very good self leveling products and vinyl concretes that would skim over existing concrete well. Call up Mason's supply and talk to them about it. Don't do the lowes or home depot thing, sorry they are just not good products IMO and its easy to get someone there that just doesn't know what they are talking about.

How difficult is it to level concrete on in a garage floor?

Could you just pour a new base on top of you current floor? Just build a form and make it 3-4" thick and use the self leveling concrete. Maybe use a thin sheet of plywood underneath so the whole thing could removed later. Bonus - it will raise your overall height of your stand.

Could you just pour a new base on top of you current floor? Just build a form and make it 3-4" thick and use the self leveling concrete. Maybe use a thin sheet of plywood underneath so the whole thing could removed later. Bonus - it will raise your overall height of your stand.

that wouldn't be a very good idea. wood will deteriorate and also compress with weight causing the concrete to crack as it sunk. pure concrete poured ontop of old existing concrete will come back off very easily. it creates a cold joint.

that wouldn't be a very good idea. wood will deteriorate and also compress with weight causing the concrete to crack as it sunk. pure concrete poured ontop of old existing concrete will come back off very easily. it creates a cold joint.

Right. I started thinking about it last night and it seems like creating a level stand (in relation to the floor) would be the easier task.

I would be surprised if any new layer of concrete poured onto the existing slab would be very durable. You're wanting one edge to be flush with the current floor, right? The thin edge is likely to get busted right away. But I'm no concrete expert. Maybe there is a specialty product that would hold up.

I think your best bet would be a wood or metal pad just big enough for your existing stand that tapers from one edge to the other. Roll on, roll off. Sitting on a dry concrete pad, wood won't rot anytime soon. It will absorb a little moisture through the pad and cause problems eventually, but that would likely take years.

The pour on self leveling stuff may be the best option. I'll just have to frame an area about 4 ft x 2 ft. The garage floor is angled down towards the door and also has a small upward angle near the exterior walls.

The adjustable casters may be a viable option as long as I could find some to handle the weight.

I wish I could just slap some auto leveling suspension on it like my Touareg has lol.

Quick search and I found this website

Www.accesscasters.com

Looked under leveling caster and found one rated up to 2200 lbs.

Total: $135.70 for 4 of them shipped.

http://www.accesscasters.com/3p80f-3-leveling-caster-square.aspx

Check it out and let me know what y'all think, should I go with these or level out an area in the garage that I wheel the tank on and off of?

Downside to these is that it looks like I would have to adjust them each time I want to move the tank. But I wonder how often I would be moving the tank once its going anyways? Maybe once or twice a month?