Dueling Tanks

ReefSafari

Link police...!!

You posted a link from another forum! Oh no!(flame)(wife)Moderators do what you need to do...(brick)

Actually it's not a problem David.;) It's nice to see what other people from other places are doing. Just don't put up a poll...(whistle)That is an amazing tank and just goes to show that a great deal of knowledge and personal skill will always trump fancy equipment!(clap)

By the way Kendaroo thanks I make my posts so big because I was ignored as a child or I am otherwise lacking in attention!(laugh)

You posted a link from another forum! Oh no!(flame)(wife)Moderators do what you need to do...(brick)

Actually it's not a problem David.;) It's nice to see what other people from other places are doing. Just don't put up a poll...(whistle)That is an amazing tank and just goes to show that a great deal of knowledge and personal skill will always trump fancy equipment!(clap)

By the way Kendaroo thanks I make my posts so big because I was ignored as a child or I am otherwise lacking in attention!(laugh)

WHATEVER..

Well Amanda has a head start on me...(scary)

P7310189.jpg

Then a few days later, she moved the rest of her stuff out of the Nano, I was surprised that all of that came out of a 15g Nano...:eek: She was going for a Lagoon look...

P8010196.jpg

Water is a bit cloudy as she just got done with the first attempt at aquascaping, I think it turned out pretty good. She is mainly going to do Softies and a few LPS, She is awaiting her new T5 Light fixture and her protien Skimmer...More updates to come...

Mine is going slower...(plotting) But its going to be cool...I can't wait to start putting mine together...(naughty)

I think what you guys are doing is awesome! My wife wouldnt ever do anything like this but I'm just excited that she seems to be excited that i'm getting back into it.

anywho..

So do you both have to spend relatively the same money in this comp?

So do you both have to spend relatively the same money in this comp?

We don't have to spend the same, its just whatever each one wants to use, like I am going to go with Metal Halides and she is going the T5 route...I am going to with a sump (I think) and she is going to go simplictic...I am going to have some SPS, LPS and Softies...while she is primarily going to go Softies and some LPS...but no SPS....

She moved everything from the 15g Nano into the 40g Breeder...and has a jump start on me...She already has much of her plans thought out...I am still thinking about how I want to do things...Rockwork, what types of coral, substrate..ect...

I have run into a little snag...maybe you all can help...I am trying to find fish that are GREEN!!! Any suggestions?

She is going through a little diatom bloom that hopefully will clear up soon...but things seem to be enjoying the flow and 25 gallons of more water...lol..She will be getting her new light fixture and protien skimmer soon...and probably adding a bit more live rock...and of course more corals..lol

P8110220.jpg

SidebySide-1.jpg

she needs a sand sifting goby ;-) Although I guess it would outgrow a 40?

She has a yellow watchman goby...but he doesn't really do anything but keep his little burrow area clean...Amanda was going to try and find a small sand sifting star...but most of the ones I have seen are pretty big...probably end up getting some sand dwelling snails like nassarius or something...

100_8347.jpg

Anyone have any ideas for GREEN fish??? as in Fish that are Green in coloration?

You better get going as she is going to blow you away. A little green clown goby is a nice little fish if you have smaller fish in the tank' date=' as they can be kinda shy. Mine is in my little 20gal. frag tank with a little Cinnamon clown and a little blue tank.[/quote']

I know...(scary)..lol I definatley like the looks of the Green Clown Goby...Thanks for the suggestion...:D

Melanurus wrasse is green' date=' i would recommend a male cause they are more colorful. The one I have a is a great fish, not aggressive towards other fish. They do need a sand bed to burrow in at night.[/quote']

WOW...:eek: That is amazingly beautiful...Thanks for the suggestion...I'll have to look into those..

I totally agree with the melenarus wrasse. I LOVE mine...and they get along with other wrasses or will run in packs if you get a couple

Thats awsome you can put more than one together, thats seems rare for Wrasses isn't it? It would be cool to get a couple of them...I'll have to really look into these...:D

What skimmer are you guys going to use? I too bought a 40B at the same time you did' date=' and I'm trying to decide on a hob skimmer since I'm going sump-less. Any ideas?[/quote']

Well I pushed her to think about this one, I think she she is going to get it...I liked the surface skimmer and that it has a Sicce Pump, I liked this one the best, its bigger than most HOB skimmers...Reviews seem to be pretty good on them as well...

http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopus-bh-800s-hang-br-on-back-protein-skimmer-with-br-sicce-pump-by-coralvue-2346.html

And this is the light she wants to get....

http://www.aquacave.com/finnex-36-ledt5-combo-br-aluminum-light-fixturebr-4-x-t5--15-x-led-2551.html

Thats awsome you can put more than one together, thats seems rare for Wrasses isn't it? It would be cool to get a couple of them...I'll have to really look into these...:D

if you do put more than one together make sure one is a male and the other is a female. I don't believe multiples of each sex mix well. you'll know a female cause they aren't as colorful as a male.

I have been told on several occasions that they are completely social wrasses....

my concern would be that they are going into a 40g tank and they get up to 5" long.

Do you think they would get along with a six line?

the Melanurus should get along with the Sixline but if the Sixline is aggressive that might be a problem. I would make sure the Melanurus is larger than the Sixline. I had a Sixline when I got the Melanurus and the Sixline tried to bully him but since the Melanurus was twice the size of the Sixline it didn't last more than a few minutes.

• Like 1

My Girlfriend was the reason we started reefing...We have a little apartment and 5 tanks up and running in it. I'm getting ready to break my 46 bowfront down so I can make room for the new 155 bowfront. I'm in the process of getting all the equipment for the 155 together. So far I have the tank, stand, canopy, sump, a sand filter, a 5 stage RO, a Calcium Reactor and related equipment, and heaters. I also have the live rock in tups under halides in the garage. The only thing I want for it are 3 magnetic ballasts for the lighting...I'm doing a pair of 250w in each end and a 400w in the center. Finally I need a large pump...1900-2400 GPH...I'm leaning toward Reeflo.

Good luck guys...I'll keep watching your build...Maybe my girlfriend and I whould get matching 155 bowfronts and do the same?!? HMMM...

• 2 weeks later...

So we have some equipment on the way, Amanda chose to go Metal Halide route(naughty)...lol She is getting the same fixture I have been eyeing a 36"-(2)250w Current Sunpod, she also has a HUMUNGO protien skimmer comming, she (with my help(rock2)) chose to go with this protien skimmer...we will see how it works...

http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopus-bh-800sbs-brhang-on-back-protein-brskimmer-with-sicce-pump-brby-coralvue-2887.html

She is going to add a little more live rock and work on the aquascaping...then she will post new pics...We will do a unboxing when the new equipment arrives.

Update on mine...well(scary)...nothing yet...tank is still empty...but I too will be getting a 36" (2)250w Sunpod for mine and will suppliment it with a (2) bulb T5 fixture for added Actinic. I am in the process of getting the Sump/refugium together, It will have 1 center overflow (non-drilled/hang on type) with two returns on each side....would like to do a SQWID to alternate the return...and I will be going with this protien skimmer...

http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopus-nwb-110-br-needle-wheel-protein-br-skimmer-750.html

Mine is taking a little longer to setup but I think I am going to like it, I learned ALOT of things that I want to do different than I did with the 40g Column, OH...and speaking of the 40g Column, we are going to be tearing that down, As much as I hate to do it, its something both Amanda and I want to do....So if anyone is interested in a 40g Column, we might have one available in the near future...(naughty)....Along with a Eshopps HOB Protien Skimmer...(naughty)

When setting up the column....it was our first "Reef" tank....and really had no clue what it all entailed....well over the last 8 months...I have learned ALOT...and am still learning...but one thing I learned is a 40g Column is a very challenging and difficult tank to make a reef...I have learned what I would do different in another tank, I have learned what I like and don't like....Its been a eye catching tank in our house starting the 2010 year...You don't seen many 40g Column tanks as reefs...it will be missed...but I just want to maintain 1 tank...and the 40g breeder is going to be a REALLY fun tank to work with...and I hope to learn SO MUCH more with it...who knows...maybe someday I will graduate to a HUGE tank and will know EXACTLY what I want...(rock2)...lol

Older pic...

P6080005.jpg

Thanks for the update! like you I'm a very patient man and my next project (180) is still sitting bone dry waiting for me to finish other things.

Its so hard to be patient though(scary).....lol

I am curious if anyone has any opinions on the Reef Octopus Protien Skimmers? Or any Experience with them.....They seem to get fairly good reviews...

Its so hard to be patient though(scary).....lol

I am curious if anyone has any opinions on the Reef Octopus Protien Skimmers? Or any Experience with them.....They seem to get fairly good reviews...

Too true..

I only need to buy a skimmer and a cal reacter and then i'm ready to start. I'm supposed to pick up the reacter tonight.

As far as the Octopus I have heard good things about them and was going to buy one but I have a freind trying to talk me out of it so I may go with something else. I guess i'll make the choice myself in the next couple of weeks.