Trade lighting?

RLaForce

Right now I have a 48" DE 250w light with pc lighting and moon lights, hqi. I would like to have almost the same set up but instead of the pc I would like to move to T5's. Anyone wanting to switch lighting I would be willing to put a little cash in with the trade. I get great color and growth and have been really happy with my system. Just want to see how much having T5's on would effect my tank. I've been out of the game for awhile and I'm now back with a need to fix my tank up. I'm wanting to focus on sps mixed with lps. I have a liking for zoas and have a nice little collection going. Money is tight right now, all I have is a huge stack of doctor bills and on job. I could imagine some or most of you in this economy understand what I'm going through. Most of my days are inside my house and not being able to do much except watch tv, but mostly I watch my tank and think of all that I could be doing with it. Now I'm feeling a little better and wanting to take some of my idea and bring them to life! This is where I'm starting so let me know if you have other ideas that you think would work on my lighting! T5's seem to get good reviews and would be a good combo for the tank I have envisioned in my mind! (rock2)(rock2)(rock2)(rock2)(naughty)(naughty)(naughty)(clap)

Right now I have a 48" DE 250w light with pc lighting and moon lights' date=' hqi. I would like to have almost the same set up but instead of the pc I would like to move to T5's. Anyone wanting to switch lighting I would be willing to put a little cash in with the trade. I get great color and growth and have been really happy with my system. Just want to see how much having T5's on would effect my tank. I've been out of the game for awhile and I'm now back with a need to fix my tank up. I'm wanting to focus on sps mixed with lps. I have a liking for zoas and have a nice little collection going.

If I read this correctly, you have a similar light to mine-I have (had) 2-250 DE MH w/4-65 watt Compact fluorescents-Well this weekend I swapped out the CF bulbs to T5's.

It took about 30 minutes and the fixture now is the MH w/ 2-54 watt T5's-the T5's put out more light at half the watts and I am glad I finally did it.

If you are looking to swap your fixture and go all T5's-IMO, I would not go that route, SPS will (again IMO) grow better under the MH than T5's and everyone has their opinions on that, I have grown SPS under T5's but have had best results under MH-my tank is about 90%SPS.

Keep your fixture you have and replace the CF to T5's-the project ran me 10.00 plus bulbs.

Yeah, how did you do it?

I have the same issue and would love to do this!! It is on my display refugium but still that would be awesome!! I smell a "DIY" thread!!

Woohoo!!!

Clay

If I read this correctly, you have a similar light to mine-I have (had) 2-250 DE MH w/4-65 watt Compact fluorescents-Well this weekend I swapped out the CF bulbs to T5's.

It took about 30 minutes and the fixture now is the MH w/ 2-54 watt T5's-the T5's put out more light at half the watts and I am glad I finally did it.

If you are looking to swap your fixture and go all T5's-IMO, I would not go that route, SPS will (again IMO) grow better under the MH than T5's and everyone has their opinions on that, I have grown SPS under T5's but have had best results under MH-my tank is about 90%SPS.

Keep your fixture you have and replace the CF to T5's-the project ran me 10.00 plus bulbs.

Can you shed more "Light" on this subject, I have one of those hoods that have 2x250Mh and 4x65pc, did you need to swap out ballasts or use the ones currently in the hood, also would it be possable for you to do a right up on how the wiring went?

Thanks

Can you shed more "Light" on this subject, I have one of those hoods that have 2x250Mh and 4x65pc, did you need to swap out ballasts or use the ones currently in the hood, also would it be possable for you to do a right up on how the wiring went?

Thanks

Sorry for the delay, I was not subscribed and did not see the post.

PM me if you are interested in info still-The only thing besides the T5's I had to buy was the end caps for the T5's it actually ran me 5.00.

You will use the same ballasts-so I now have 2 ballasts not even being used.

My fixture had a seperate ballast for each PC bulb, 4 bulbs 4 ballasts.

I thought about doing 4 T5's if the 2 did not work out well.

The T5s put out more light (just the 2) than the 4 PC bulbs and they are 54 watt T5 vs 65 watt PC bulbs-(laugh)

PM me if you want

Brad