Hermit Crab?

RLaForce

Ok, so the other day I was walking past my tank and looked in only to see a hermit crab on the top of a birdnest. When I pulled him off it looks as if her had ate the tip off a little. Then I went on vacation for two days and when I came back the same BN was tore up! I still have a decent size BN, but I wonder if it was the hermit crab? I have never seen one eat sps before. Anyone else ever had this happen, it's a first for me. (scratch)

How big is your hermit crab? Do you know what kind it is? What color are its legs? Some types of hermits are aggressive to begin with. I have 4 orange legs, 5 zebra's and a halloween hermit who likes to hang upside down off of all my SPS including the birdsnest. I have had to kick them off some SPS that they were too curious about, they can do damage even if they are eating algae between the polyps and the branches. If you want to keep that hermit crab, try spot feeding the hermit- it might not be getting enough food which could lead to them munching on coral and eating the polyps.

never ever trust a hermit if you even suspect it oust it!!! you will always regret it if you don't. sorry I shouldn't be so finite just had bad experiences with hermits, and yet I always end up buying more LOL

IMO he probably wasn't eating the polyps but its kind of beside the point if the BN is trashed. you dont have to kill him though just send him back to the LFS with a warning. Or find someone with a fish only tank. Just don't give him to reefit, kidding, but really his mantis is probably always hungry

never ever trust a hermit if you even suspect it oust it!!! you will always regret it if you don't. sorry I shouldn't be so finite just had bad experiences with hermits, and yet I always end up buying more LOL

IMO he probably wasn't eating the polyps but its kind of beside the point if the BN is trashed. you dont have to kill him though just send him back to the LFS with a warning. Or find someone with a fish only tank. Just don't give him to reefit, kidding, but really his mantis is probably always hungry

(plotting)HA haaa...all yer hermits belong to me.

nah i only feed the bad ones. the mantis eats mostly those little rock boring clams and mysid shrimp that i squirt in with a turkey baster. he eats right out of the baster.