Question....drilling my tank

drock59

So I know my tank is an AGA but how do i know if it is tempered? This is what AGA says:

Can I drill holes in my aquarium for external filters?

Maybe, many of our aquariums are made with tempered glass in the bottom. Tempered glass cannot be drilled. Non-tempered glass panels may be drilled by a qualified technician. In some cases, you may special order All-Glass aquariums pre-drilled with the MegaFlow or Twin-Flow overflow systems. You could also special order, in some cases, an aquarium with non-tempered glass if you wanted to have it drilled outside of our facility. If you have an older tank that you want to drill, don’t take any chances - if you are not sure that the glass is non-tempered, do not drill it.

-------

I knew the bottom is probably tempered but I dont know about the other faces. IF someone knows and could ease my fears I would appreciate. Thanks

40g and it should be just about brand new. Bought from a Petco worker, who bought it a few months ago. I figured the bottom was tempered but there are no markings for the other sides and I would rather not have it shatter. :)

I want to drill two 1" holes on the side and use it as a fuge.

Also, anyone have recommendations for bits?

fwiw I had one of my old glass tanks drilled at a small glass shop in hillsboro for $15 a hole... To test whether it was tempered or not he scratched the glass with a glass cutter. The non-tempered glass scratched easily... is "softer" in a sense since the surface is not under tension.

ben

I called AGA about my 40 breeder. I gave them the dimensions and they assures me the bottom was not tempered. I drilled it without any problems at all. I did this last year and at that time they said that tempered glass was not used on tanks smaller that the 55. I believe Waves would drill it for you for about $50.00.