anyone else loose power

powdertang05

I lost power for over 12 hours. My tank would have been toast except a few years ago i bought a power inverter. 400 watts, hook it up to the car battery and run an extension cord. I had the care idling all night long.

I was able to run two heaters, return pump, and my Tunze 6100. Everything seems fine now. For the small investment, this little guy is worth every penny. I highly recommend.

lol sounds like and aweful expensive generator lol.

I run a 2000i honda generator for overnight use for tank, pellet stove and fridge, same thing I guess, just smaller scale (laugh)

Frys does have good deals on power inverters, just make sure you get a big enough one.

click on your brand of ups and select model, they have the Battery to replace them, this is just a comparison list so you get the right size, the batteries are bade by them (all the links are same batteries just want to get the ones that fit your UPS so go through here.. I run a tripp lite 2200 with 9 recepticales, It needs 2-35 amp hour batteries. It lasted 4 years since last batteries replaced and its time again for new, I had a smaller UPS as well that lasted abotu the same amount of time (the ups weighs 124 pounds!!!)

Jump on, if you have trouble pm me and I will get you sorted.

click on your brand of ups and select model' date=' they have the Battery to replace them, this is just a comparison list so you get the right size,[/quote']

Found it!

It's $83. something for the 4 batteries needed for one.

I wish I knew how to find out if it's really just the batteries that need replacing or if there is something else wrong with the units.

Any ideas how to find out?

turn it on if it powers up then its 99% the batteries, there is an inverter in there to but they are pretty rock solid. Some UPS have buzz or a light to tell you the battery is dying. FYI when you get the new batts run them now and then, I run mine a few hours here and there (once a month) just to get a load on them. It seams like the less you use them the more prone they are to expiring fast. Just keep in mind these types of batteries are designed to keep a full charge most of the time, so dont drain and not plug in for the few hours needed to charge.

We lost power in Corvallis from about 7:30pm till 5:30am, i was in the middle of a water change, just took 10 gal out and the friekin power shuts off... all i could do since i didnt have any battery opperated air pumps or power inverters was to stir the heck out of my tank about every 20 - 30 min until about 1:30 and had to go to bed. The power must have woken me up and i went straight back to finishing my water change... lol couldnt resist. well luckely i didnt loose any livestock and my corals seem to be looking as good as usual. now we just need to have regular oregon weather, rain, no wind.

Jason

well the thing thats funny about the pump was that when the power went back on it started making bubbles again and that was about 510 am then i woke up at 9 to the smell of burnt coffee so i have no idea why or how that could have happened. since the pump was still working but yes it does look like the pump ran dry but it sure was wokring when the power went back on. o well its like 30 bucks for a new one.

anyways i also wanted to ask if any of you having or had this issue before i swear im like retarded in this hobby sometimes. i was going a water change yesturday and i use a mj 600 with a tube connected to it so its fast in and out of the bucket. but im the retard that left the tube out and ended landing on the floor and putting about 25 gals on the floor and i spend 7 hours and bought a new wet dry vac and its still not dry yet dang does anyone else have this problem like serious im always clean up something for water.

I feel your pain, i had about 10 gal onto my carpet and didn't know it for a day or so. I used the shopvac as much as possible, and had fans blowing on the carpet for a couple days. I it fine now, no smell and just like the rest of the carpet. I was lucky in one aspect, i have a large thick area rug under my tank that absorbed a lot of it, and i just happen to be transfering tanks so i was moving the tank off it where it was wet.

See, you're not alone, we're all retarted in some aspects :) This is partially why apartments don't want renters to have aquariums! Thanksfully I don't rent. A few months back I was trying to get all the poo filtered and into the sump from previous tank owner. Was doing a pretty good job of it until I left one of those pumps in the bottom of the tank and forgot it was in there....when powered off it was still siphoning from the tank into the sump. Thank god I didn't leave the house yet, but at least 15-20 gallons or more of sump poo was all over the floor and stunk the entire house up by the time I noticed. I found about 1/2 can of Lysol, all the towels in the house and about a week of using a space heater did the trick. I'm assuming CCR is saying to put fresh water down for the smell factor; it may help remove smell factor faster. I just kept spraying Lysol over the carpet a few times a day and stopped stinking 2-3 days later.

Ah, thanks! :)

So, you don't leave the UPS plugged in all the time?

Only long enough to fully load the battery, and then you unplug it?

But then, how does it kick in automatically when the power goes off?

I think I'm missing something here.

All I was saying is to unplug from wall so it runs on the batteries now and then just make sure to plug back in afterwards, the batteries dont fair well if left drained dead. Thats all. Sorry

my house made it through the thursday storm without any power loss. however; saturday evening a power station caught on fire-. No power for 24 hours (scary) ! Luckily i had read this thread before it went pitch black and picked up acouple tips... 24 hours later i have no fish loss, and the only coral loss i had was one mushroom from a colony that I bought that day! so yeah, thanks!

fire.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

hey what size of ups was used to power the Streams. I am building a 210 and i am getting the streams for my tank and wanted to run them off of ups. also doesn anyone know if a dart will run off of ups. I know some pumps will not work because ups's use square wave instead of a sign wave for ac.

thanks

I cant answer most of that question but I will point out I would not run a dart on the UPS, but get something that draws less current for power outages, with the watt draw on the dart you wouldnt get much time out of a UPS. Just my thought, I dont plan to have my dart on my ups. With it on there I wouldn't get much more than 1.5 hours on dual 65 amp hour batteries. But I dont know how to calc amp hours to watts.???