anyone else loose power

powdertang05

i lost power for 5 hours lost all my tangs and shrimp and also a pump exploded in my sump for my skimmer so all in all pretty pissed and to top it off my apt smells like burnt coffee from the pump yummy.

sorry forgot to menton i had the pumps on surge protectors the really heavy duty ones too everything else lasted o well.

anyone else have problems?

Well I lost power just before 9 and it came back on about 1am at the house. We got some nasty winds that took down a big tree up the road from me and of course it fell right on the power lines. The funny thing is that the shop that is practically falling down around me didn't loose power. Thank goodness one less thing to mess with.

Just keep in mind as bourneman tested and proved, air pumps don't add oxygen, they create flow and the flow creates oxygen. Your better off adding a UPS to a maxi jet and running that, that will provide WAY more flow and is automatic when the power goes out. If you want to get fancy run a low wattage bulb and some cheato in your main display during power outages. The cheato will produce enough oxygen to supply a decent size tank via photosynthesis but you will need flow to move the oxygen rich water around. Bourneman will be here to talk about it more but you can also listen to it on reefvideos.com

Good info.

I have these in all my tanks. They are plugged into the outlets and when the power goes off these turn on and run off of batteries.

They're called:

Silent Air B11 Air Pump (Penn Plax)

I ordered them online for only $12.99

It's much better than having nothing!

Did you have any battery backup in your tank Powder?

I know our cable/phone went out during the night until 9am because recordings didn't go and wife was trying to kill time this morning since school was 2 hrs late. I don't know if power went out while I slept, just too many surges before bed and blue flashing in the sky for 4 hours. Xmas lights are a mess!

I know the feeling ,I was scrambling last night after a couple of hours of no power. I ended up going to fred meyer and buying a cigarette plug inverter($15.99) . ran a 100 foot extention cord from the car to the tank it powered a 250 gph powerhead all night with no problems.

I know the feeling ' date='I was scrambling last night after a couple of hours of no power. I ended up going to fred meyer and buying a cigarette plug inverter($15.99) . ran a 100 foot extention cord from the car to the tank it powered a 250 gph powerhead all night with no problems.[/quote']

Good thinking!

Hmmm so is everyone losing stuff because of flow? Just wondering cause I was off line for about 5-6 hours 9ish to 3:30. I just stirred the water every 15 minutes with a wooden spoon and till about 2 when I finally passed out. Never drink and stir!! :) Sorry to hear about everyones losses. Im glad to say I think everything is okay. They just got done removing the tree that fell across the street and now they are working on a telephone pole that snapped about 4' up. Later Ryan

Hmmm so is everyone losing stuff because of flow? Just wondering cause I was off line for about 5-6 hours 9ish to 3:30. I just stirred the water every 15 minutes with a wooden spoon and till about 2 when I finally passed out. Never drink and stir!! :)

One of the books I've got from the library recomended something like that or filling a pitcher of water and dump back into tank to help with aeration. Keep doing every 15 minutes or so, more if stress or faster gill movement is recognized. Glad it worked for you. My thought is the fish are dying due to lack of oxygen before any low heat issues.

I also lost power last night at 9:30pm and it just came back on about 15mins ago. I had 1 of my Tunze streams on a UPS and that ran for around 5 hrs on the lowest setting (1000gph). Then this morning I looked at the tank temp and it was down to 73F, so I sucked it up and went to Home Depot and dropped $500 on a generator and extension cords. They did not have a large selection of generators but this one will handle up to 3800 watts so that is more then enough for my 2 tanks and even the TV and Sat. It really messes up Christmas though but I knew I needed one and I'm glad I got it, my tank would have crashed completely.

I was out of power at the store for about 5 hours. Not sure when it happened but it was before I went to bed at 11ish and power was back up when I got here at about 10am. Only real reason I know it went out was all my timers where about 5 hours behind.

I lost 2-3 SPS, I had just brought in 9 boxes of fish but I only had "typical" losses after a day of incoming fish, maybe 3-4 dead this AM.

I have an octopus tank at home, I ran an extention cord from my truck, it has a 400w power supply in the truck bed. I ran a PH for about 30 min this AM. I ran to some of my servicing accounts and did the same thing.

The front show tank was out of power even longer because it tripped a breaker. Everything seems fine, there is like 1/8" RTN on a frag laying in the sand bed but thats all.

Those Plenn Plax deals seem pretty sweet, I dug one out of the back and ran it home for the octopus, seems like a champ. I didnt know if it always runs or ONLY runs when the power is out, sounds like its the latter which is perfect.

Hope everyone still fairs well, so far doesnt sound like we have had any huge crashes or anything, last I heard there was still close to 200,000 people out of power.

joel

I was out of power at the store for about 5 hours. Not sure when it happened but it was before I went to bed at 11ish and power was back up when I got here at about 10am. Only real reason I know it went out was all my timers where about 5 hours behind.

I lost 2-3 SPS, I had just brought in 9 boxes of fish but I only had "typical" losses after a day of incoming fish, maybe 3-4 dead this AM.

I have an octopus tank at home, I ran an extention cord from my truck, it has a 400w power supply in the truck bed. I ran a PH for about 30 min this AM. I ran to some of my servicing accounts and did the same thing.

The front show tank was out of power even longer because it tripped a breaker. Everything seems fine, there is like 1/8" RTN on a frag laying in the sand bed but thats all.

Those Plenn Plax deals seem pretty sweet, I dug one out of the back and ran it home for the octopus, seems like a champ. I didnt know if it always runs or ONLY runs when the power is out, sounds like its the latter which is perfect.

Hope everyone still fairs well, so far doesnt sound like we have had any huge crashes or anything, last I heard there was still close to 200,000 people out of power.

joel

Seeing as how dead the site seems to be today, there may be more members with tired arms from stirring up the water. I was eying one of those Penn Plax's just last week at Petsmart and was thinking it would be a good stocking stuffer. What I read on the box, they only run when power is out. I may have to stuff one in myself :). I have no clue where it came from honey, Santa must have bought it :)

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441779314&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030044&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1166229652199&itemNo=0&Ntt=penn+plax&In=All&previousText=penn+plax&N=2030044&Ne=2

I lost power for over 12 hours. My tank would have been toast except a few years ago i bought a power inverter. 400 watts, hook it up to the car battery and run an extension cord. I had the care idling all night long.

I was able to run two heaters, return pump, and my Tunze 6100. Everything seems fine now. For the small investment, this little guy is worth every penny. I highly recommend.

well i did have the battery air pumps but it seems like it just wasnt enough but i was looking into getting a generator but they are sold out everywhere and as for the power inverter thats a good idea but the ones ive seen so far are 150w for like 60 bucks so not sure what ill do but for another question if i run a mj 600 thats like 10 or so watts on a ups that is for 300w does that mean i multiple the time by 30 to get the acual time it will run it or em i wrong.

Store power went out about 8pm last night but was back about 4 hrs later, no death. Your pump did not "blow up" because of a power spike, I would guess it came back on when power was restored, had a bubble around the impeller, and burned itself up after running dry for a while. Was the case melted with "bulges" on the sides around the magnet? R2R2 Hope everybody else dodged the bullet.

well i did have the battery air pumps but it seems like it just wasnt enough but i was looking into getting a generator but they are sold out everywhere and as for the power inverter thats a good idea but the ones ive seen so far are 150w for like 60 bucks so not sure what ill do but for another question if i run a mj 600 thats like 10 or so watts on a ups that is for 300w does that mean i multiple the time by 30 to get the acual time it will run it or em i wrong.

Watt you ask? Couldn't resist, cannot remember all the ins and outs of time, but take in mind UPS batteries do wear out quickly and may not hold a full charge. Fry's website has tons of inverters for less than you've seen, check the second page and you'll even find a 500 watt inverter for $49.99 with free shipping.

http://shop2.outpost.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&query_string=inverter&cat=&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

I'm loving this car idea. Does insurance cover it for theft with the engine running? :) Also, don't attempt to do this in the garage!!! Three people from Gresham were hospitalized from just a regular generator last night!

I'm so sorry to hear of all the troubles!

We've been lucky so far, but the two UPSs I got recently need new batteries and I haven't had a chance doing that yet.

Reading about power inverters, I have a question: our newer car has a regular plug-in for a laptop. Could I plug an extension cord into that and run a couple of pumps, having the car idle?

And I won't need and inverter in this case?

Reading about power inverters, I have a question: our newer car has a regular plug-in for a laptop. Could I plug an extension cord into that and run a couple of pumps, having the car idle?

That is an inverter, it's just built in. Check the maximum wattage you can use so you don't blow the fuse in the car.

I stand corrected on those folks, there are 6 in the hospital and they thought they were safe by leaving the garage door open with a generator in there. Don't do it, and the same goes with the car!

Keep it outside!

I'm so sorry to hear of all the troubles!

We've been lucky so far, but the two UPSs I got recently need new batteries and I haven't had a chance doing that yet.

here is a decent battery MFG for those UPS you have Siskiou

http://www.apexbattery.com/ups-batteries.html

My barrey order was free ship to.