surge tank

reef165

I had one set up a few years ago using a Carlson Surge Device that I built. I have not used dump buckets or pneumatic devices though.

My setup utilized a 5 gallon tank positioned over a 55 gallon show tank. It took a bit of fine tuning to get the filling of the reservoir and the automatic siphon synchronized, but once that was accomplished, I really had no problems with it.

What type of surge tank did you have in mind?

im looking for plans for what sounds like the one you used' date=' no dump buckets, just a stationary like 10 gal tank that fills up then when allmost full releasses the water back into the main tank.[/quote']

Article by Bruce Carlson

http://www.masla.com/reef/csm.html

Article and plans by Dana Riddle

http://www.breedersregistry.org/Reprints/MFM/v11_aug96/simple_surge.htm

My design was based on the original design by Bruce Carlson in 1996, and looked very much like Dana's, except that I had a 3/4" PVC T fitting. The center of the "T" was 1/2", with a 1/2" 90 degree elbow facing downward to start a slightly early break of the siphon. This helped eliminate some of the noise and excess bubbles returned to the main tank.

My design was based on the original design by Bruce Carlson in 1996, and looked very much like Dana's, except that I had a 3/4" PVC T fitting. The center of the "T" was 1/2", with a 1/2" 90 degree elbow facing downward to start a slightly early break of the siphon. This helped eliminate some of the noise and excess bubbles returned to the main tank.

Hopefully, these pictures will help. 2nd pic shows close-up of siphon-end modification that helps cut down on bubbles and greatly reduced (but did not totally eliminate) noise. Adding this created a smoother, quieter, and more efficient siphon break.

The only drawback of those is noise, I was going to make 2 for my tank and I am waiting till I go in-wall so the surges can be in the other room, the only real noise is when they break siphon, and of course the air bubble but I could care less about that. Good luck and post up the results. Later.

thanks Nyles i tryed the petsforum one and couldent get it to work right and the hawkfish one looks a little complicated. im like you and want to do an inwall tank ( comeing this summer) but right now im doing homework and testing so when its time its a smooth transition.

From what I have researched the first one is best, If you have trouble with the siphone breaking then you will need to add the mod shown on huntleys link, also adding a ball valve or gate if you have one for the pump so you can fine tune would be a good idea. to much flow and the siphone will never break, so it will take a little tweaking if your pump is to big.

Very good point Nyles. Another thing to consider is having large enough diameter PVC for the siphon. As long as the return flow exceeds the input to the reservoir, there should be little problem.

The principle is similar in ways to how the volume of a gravity feed overflow to a sump must exceed the water returned to the main tank.