Here comes the wind....great.

drock59

Is the wind storm that is supposed to come tomorrow stressing anyone else out but me?

I wish there was a device that would send me an email or text message when the power at my home failed.

Better yet I wish there was a simple way to backup power. (scary)

A vortech pump with the battery back...500 bucks and will run on 4AA batterys for 12 hours at 3,700 gals an hour you plug in the battery back up and when the power fails...it kicks in...easy and will save the tank...corals can go with out lights for a day or two no problem...

Living in the Troutdale area myself, I find it kind of strange that the east wind can blow 70mph for days and there is absolutly no damage. But, if we get a 30mph gust from a different direction, trees, powerlines, etc are falling all over the place.

Dennis

That's cuz everything that can be blown over already has out there :)

I'm not concerned about the "storm"' date=' the news casters around here have no idea what the weather will do usually. I bet they role dice to give the weather report. Its always blown out of proportion, as it is with all news/media these days.[/quote']

I agree with Miles, but I will be cranking up my new generator just in case.

North Corvallis....

Reefgeek are you not worried about temperature?

That is my main concern.

yes and no...it would take quite a while for temp to drop really low, where it would be no good for the corals...if that concerns you...then I would cover the openings on the top of the tank with a piece of plastic to help hold in the heat and wrap the tank in some blankets...if you have gas and can heat water or your water heater is gas as well, then I would put hot water in the bottles and float them...

I'm not concerned about the "storm"' date=' the news casters around here have no idea what the weather will do usually. I bet they role dice to give the weather report. Its always blown out of proportion, as it is with all news/media these days.[/quote']

Yup...like miles and bob, said take it with a grain of salt and in Oregon, we are used to this and they tend to get power going again pretty quickly...

but you are correct with better safe then sorry.

Corals are remarkable in their ability to take low temps. It is the high temperatures that are a problem. I would say if your tank gets down as low as 65 your corals should be quite alright. The first time we went to LA one of the suppliers that we picked up stuff at and they packed it in boxes without styrofoam. The bag temperatures were around 45 degrees when we got back and there were some losses but nothing to bad. Something like 10% loss.