What happened here???

BADBaxter

Is that a molt or is it your CB shrimp? Its probably lovin that meal! I was doing some midnight surfing and saw my candy cane with a hermit body in his mouth. I have no idea how that got there either. Sweet pic though. Later Ryan

I was looking at a coral banded shrimp today' date=' but then I thought I'd wait. Should I not put one in my tank? I read it was "reef safe with caution"..?[/quote']

One should be fine...but if you want a shrimp that would really be ok, fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp (they are cool cause the clean the fish) or a camel or peppermint shrimp...they are all pretty hardy and easy to take care of. Just make sure you do regular water changes to make sure there is enough iodine in the water to aid in the molting of their skin. You can also does iodine, but there is no really good test for it and to much can throw off the water chemistry.

I agree with getting a fire shrimp or cleaner shrimp instead. It is really cool to see the bigger fish go to the cleaners. I used to have a bc shrimp, he had a little cave and a graveyard of shells beneath him. Im not positive, but I think the camelback shrimp love to eat polyps. The fire shrimp are spendy but you cant beat that bright red, plus they are also cleaners.

My tank broke out in ich a month or so back, and thats when I got a fire shrimp and two cleaner shrimp, they went to town on my angels. I believe the shrimp saved my whole tank. Now every morning my bigger fish go to the cleaners to get the once over.

Tam

Yeah. Get a cleaner shrimp and a couple of peppermint shrimp.

My coralbanded is a.....ah... how should I put it......a.....ahh...he's rough on everything in the tank.

But that's just mine, he's special.

He lures the fish in for a good cleaning(because he's a cleaner shrimp) then he nips them with his claws.

I was looking at a coral banded shrimp today' date=' but then I thought I'd wait. Should I not put one in my tank? I read it was "reef safe with caution"..?[/quote']

Before mine passed with the fish disease in my tank..(yes, it killed the shrimp too), he pretty much hid all day until the lights came out...rather boring since I can't see very well in the dark. He would snap at EVERTHING that came across his path. My Naso tang would go up to him and stare.....get a lip stuck in the claw and would just take it like a manly fish! I think he was waiting for a cleaning at any cost.

When I replace, it will definately be with a cleaner shrimp instead.