Light for chaeto?

vanz

walmart has the 50/50 power compact bulbs for like 6 bucks. In fish section

Is that the screw in type?

How about the 50/50 bulb I saw on Cichlids and Salt/Coral Reef Farm's website. Screws into a regular fixture. Right now I have a tiny chuck that doesn't grow much and have been looking for better options for inexpensive sump lighting as well.

I was looking at that too, so if I can't find a suitable one, I might just get that. I just want the bare minimum though.

I bought a non-floodlight bulb at Home Depot (nothing like it at Lowes) a few weeks back for winter blahs. Bulb says Nvision, SKU 230-520, Model ESM27, 5500k, 27W. Here's a customer service number on the bulb!!! Impressive! 1-800-378-6998, if you got questions for them. I think I paid around $7ish? It's the open spiral type of fluorescent light. It doesn't work fully in my 3 way lamp so I'll stick it by the sump for now and check back at HD for a reflector type. (they did have lower wattage bulbs too)

Here is a complete list of bulbs, types, wattage and their lumens +.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=cfls.display_products_html

I think I have ~8 watt CF bulbs at home. I'll have to read the specs to see if they are good enough. Bought them at Costco. You guys probably seen them. They say 6 years life...but [language filter] things go off like every 3 months.

Just saw Home Depot has free shipping for most orders over $49, but only see 2 bulb options. I wonder if they'll special order the reflectors 1P3816 through their site? I would assume the store would charge for shipping if delivered there?...never ordered anything special though so not sure.

To Vanz's question, the 100w is probably the equivelant. Like mine is 27W=150W typical bulb.

I couldn't imagine 800 lumens doing much more than growing dandelions :)

The bulb I listed above earlier from HD, well, it's either my imagination, or since this afternoon, my halameda in my sump has gone dark green again. It wasn't doing much until I moved things around trying to dig out my heater a few weeks back...that moved the halameda and it pretty much started turning white and figured it was on its way out. Was a dark green bunch since Patrick's wife gave me it to me, but didn't notice any growth.

I took that bulb this afternoon, stuck in in an old tank hood and added a little extra sheetmetal to the existing reflector. It will be interesting to see if things start to grow more as well and get my nitrates down....especially the mangrove plant and that macro algae Joel swears by. I'll take a picture of my Milky Way bar size strip of chaeto tomorrow to track growth. I was using an ancient flourescent 12w? aquarium/plant bulb that glowed purple.

go to home depot and get the one marc levensen or whatever was talking about...its really nice i used it. its like 4.79...the box is different now but the article will explain how he tripled growth with a nice experiment to prove it.

http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html

I use this bulb and its is nice, good color too wish I could use it throughout my house.. lol

• 3 weeks later...

OK, talking with a customer at Fantaseas reminded me about posting pictures of this...hope you came to check the club out, don't hesitate to ask people's opinions, member or not; people sure helped me when I started out. I'm sure people can give you tons of hints on getting your nitrates down and save your $ on salt.

Around the time I swapped lighting with the type posted above from Home Depot, I started removing the bioballs...all are gone now so both may be a factor here. Tested the water about 2 nights ago, and the nitrates were not detected by the dip strips. I was stuck at 20pp and didn't think I would get any lower. OK Joel, I've proved myself wrong :D

My mangrove stalk is actually sprouting finally too. It wasn't doing anything after being in the sump for over a month, but you can see the growth since the new bulb. The cheato has more than doubled and is much more dense and greener than before. The light is just an old 10g hood I had and added a little piece of sheetmetal to make the reflector longer. So far so good for $7!!!

cheatodec2.jpg

cheatodec19.jpg

daylight.jpg