Ski Resort lodging

vanz

Crazy. I could tell you my blizzard story but it would take to long. LOL. Try going down timberline road in a tow truck with the truck being towed passing you repeatedly. LOL. Crazy night' date=' I didn't get home till about 6 am next morning after all said and done.[/quote']

Tell us! I like reading crazy stories. Sounds like it was one hell of a night!

Oh man i got a story about leaving that parking lot.

So my buddy and I went up to board for the day. We took his sweet 1980 2wd Dodge D50 pickup, it was that truck or my 1985 2wd Chevy s10 blazer that was lowered to about 3" of the ground. So the day was great, great snow, sun, one of the best boarding days i've had. Gets time to leave and we head out, noticing that the packed snow now had a sheet of ice over it in the parking lot. No matter, the road looked clear, bare pavement. So we head down the road and around the corner. In front of us is a long straightaway, slight downhill, and in the middle of the straightaway there is a car facing the wrong way in our lane, its rear end touching the snow wall. In front of that car was another car perpendicular to the snow wall, its rear end also into the snow wall. So my friend starts pumping the break to slow down and each time the tires just lock and we slide. Ok this is downhill, on ice, in a POS truck, headed right for 2 cars at about 10mph. Can't stop, so i say PUT IT IN THE SNOWBANK!!! He cranks the wheel, we slam into the snowbank, the rear of the truck whips around and slams right into the car!!! So then we think its time to put on the chains, we are stuck and can't backup, neither of the other cars can either. So i'm putting on the chain on the left rear wheel. I am in a triangle of space, the snowwall on one side, car behind me, and my friends truck in front. I'm on the ground and someone yells watch out!!! I jump up, and see a station wagon sliding sideways right at us. I jumped over the car behind me, fell down behind the other car, and the station wagon slams into my friends truck, causing all the cars to slide down the hill slightly, right at ME as i lay on the ground!!! I put my hands up onto the bumper of the car and slid with them a few feet. We finally got all the cars seperated and headed home.

So about 30min into the drive home on hwy 84, his truck starts to smell. Then poof! Smoke. We pull over to a scenic outlook and park it. No phones around, no cell phones, nobody we know around. Pack up all our stuff into the cab and started walking. Now this highway has absolutely no shoulder. Its white line, then about a foot of asphalt, then a guard rail then the river. Have you felt the suction of an 18wheeler whizzing by 18 inches from you at 60mph? Its pretty scary. Not to mention its dark by now. We walked about 8 miles when we finally spotted a phone. We had to run across that highway to get to it, then sit for about 2 hrs till our ride showed up.

That was just an unreal trip. But left me with a good story i guess!

I will say one thing, you find out who your true friends are when things like that happen. I had to call a friend for help to come get me off timberline, he was in Beaverton at the movies with his wife, he left and got me in a nissan sentra. Chaining up at the bottom in his shorts, thongs, and t-shirt. LOL What are friends for.

Oh man i got a story about leaving that parking lot.

So my buddy and I went up to board for the day. We took his sweet 1980 2wd Dodge D50 pickup, it was that truck or my 1985 2wd Chevy s10 blazer that was lowered to about 3" of the ground. So the day was great, great snow, sun, one of the best boarding days i've had. Gets time to leave and we head out, noticing that the packed snow now had a sheet of ice over it in the parking lot. No matter, the road looked clear, bare pavement. So we head down the road and around the corner. In front of us is a long straightaway, slight downhill, and in the middle of the straightaway there is a car facing the wrong way in our lane, its rear end touching the snow wall. In front of that car was another car perpendicular to the snow wall, its rear end also into the snow wall. So my friend starts pumping the break to slow down and each time the tires just lock and we slide. Ok this is downhill, on ice, in a POS truck, headed right for 2 cars at about 10mph. Can't stop, so i say PUT IT IN THE SNOWBANK!!! He cranks the wheel, we slam into the snowbank, the rear of the truck whips around and slams right into the car!!! So then we think its time to put on the chains, we are stuck and can't backup, neither of the other cars can either. So i'm putting on the chain on the left rear wheel. I am in a triangle of space, the snowwall on one side, car behind me, and my friends truck in front. I'm on the ground and someone yells watch out!!! I jump up, and see a station wagon sliding sideways right at us. I jumped over the car behind me, fell down behind the other car, and the station wagon slams into my friends truck, causing all the cars to slide down the hill slightly, right at ME as i lay on the ground!!! I put my hands up onto the bumper of the car and slid with them a few feet. We finally got all the cars seperated and headed home.

So about 30min into the drive home on hwy 84, his truck starts to smell. Then poof! Smoke. We pull over to a scenic outlook and park it. No phones around, no cell phones, nobody we know around. Pack up all our stuff into the cab and started walking. Now this highway has absolutely no shoulder. Its white line, then about a foot of asphalt, then a guard rail then the river. Have you felt the suction of an 18wheeler whizzing by 18 inches from you at 60mph? Its pretty scary. Not to mention its dark by now. We walked about 8 miles when we finally spotted a phone. We had to run across that highway to get to it, then sit for about 2 hrs till our ride showed up.

That was just an unreal trip. But left me with a good story i guess!

Holy Sh!t:eek: Umm...you freaking me out man. I plan to go again, but after that....(scary) I don't want to lose control and slam my baby into anyone or the other way around. You made it sound like it was no big deal to cream the other vehicle(laugh) No insurance involved?

Sounds like you had near death experiences several times that night. Did you go back there soon after that?

Well we weren't going fast enough to get hurt, maybe 10mph at the most. It was all just body damage, except my friends truck when that stationwagon hit it bend the fan which cracked the block. If we had put the chains on FIRST, we wouldn't have had a problem. You were smart and thought ahead, we did not. The worst part was the walking on that highway.

I've been back a few times. I go as much as i can, but its such a long drive from here. I can be at Willamette pass in 60min.

Well we weren't going fast enough to get hurt, maybe 10mph at the most. It was all just body damage, except my friends truck when that stationwagon hit it bend the fan which cracked the block. If we had put the chains on FIRST, we wouldn't have had a problem. You were smart and thought ahead, we did not. The worst part was the walking on that highway.

I've been back a few times. I go as much as i can, but its such a long drive from here. I can be at Willamette pass in 60min.

Well I had to put on chains in the parking lot...car wouldn't budge at all. I took them out as soon as I left the parking lot though because it looked pretty clear and I don't want to hold up traffic if I can only go max 25 with the chains on.

Yeah, don't know what I'll do if my car breaks down like that. I can't picture myself hiking along a highway at night having cars zoom by at high speeds on slippery roads...thats almost suicide. Glad you weren't road kill.