having min. post count to post in selling forums

reefgeek84

having min. post count to post in selling forums  

1. 1.

• Its a good idea and I agree
    • Not worth the bother...

So with my last discussion, people are worried about this club being taken advantage of...I think we should have a min post amount before people can post in the selling forums...we see it all the time, people simply join the club to sell something.

Who agrees or disagrees and why?

A disadvantage is' date=' when someone's getting out the hobby and comes here to unload their loot on the cheap, you'll miss out![/quote']

Yeah, I tend to agree with this angle myself. I can see the merits of both sides of the argument, but for me I side with not doing it. But as always, whatever the majority wants! :D

This is a bad idea IMO. If the forum is having problems with this then address it but I check that forum all the time and don't see anything wrong. Now your just going to have newbies trying to sell stuff in the General Discussion Forum. If you are going to do it I'd rather see it based on "registration date" than post count.

I'v seen this more lately, zero post, but stuff for sale. I didn't respond to one, cause I never heard of em, and was a little leary. I feel there should be pic's,even for rock. i get tired of seeing corals for sale and no pic's it's insulting IMO

I don't agree with limitations at all but *if* you are going to make any limitations here, make it so that only paid members can post on the selling forum. Post count is meaningless, I can be a post whore and make a 100 posts an day that don't mean squat and don't contribute anything. A paid member has every right to use all membership amenities regardless of their post count and their membership dues *do* mean something for the club. A scammer is unlikely to pay the dues just to sell here and if they do scam someone - at least (in theory) we have good contact info :)

JMHO,

James

I've only seen a couple of spam messages in the past six months, so I don't see a problem there. If taking advantage of me = selling me good stuff cheap, then feel free to ravage to your hearts content ;)

I vote against.

post count is meaningless but anytime you purchase ANYTHING online from ANYONE you should always be cautious. I personally wont buy from an individual online unless its thru EBAY or something like it where there are at least moderate protection policies in place. Only time i would buy from anyone on a forum is if i see the merchandise in person and complete transaction in person. Remember.....its always BUYER BEWARE......no matter who the seller is or whether they are a member. Even if we have contact info it doesnt give anyone related to PNWMAS any legal recourse except for the parties involved with the sale.

Even if we have contact info it doesnt give anyone related to PNWMAS any legal recourse except for the parties involved with the sale.

IMO It's not about legal recourse per se but rather that scammers deal best in anonymity and if this were not present and full names are able to be posted - scammers are more likely to find someplace else. This disincentive is present even if a name is never posted which is beneficial.

That said, I don't think it's a major problem and I'd personally like to see it avoided by not having any limitations.

James

I don't see how someone who doesn't post much should be forbidden to sell something. Most stuff people have to come pick up anyways, and this is a local club so, pickup is preffered. I can't see why it would be required, the more traffic you can get hopefully the more you can spread the sites existence to get more people involved.

i agree i think we can police ourselves as far as bumkus sellers and if they just come here to sell on a regular basis just let them know that you need to be more active in forums or go elseware or just delete there posts if they dont get the pic ive seen this done on other sites ware people just use the sites to sell and nothing else the mods catch on quick after the first few sales and etheir ask them to be more active in other threads or to become a sponsor or please stay away if all there going to do is sell.

Has this really ever been a problem to begin with? Are the facts all in, or is this just a prophylactic measure? This isn't Ebay....it's pretty much a small niche localized group. I posted extra stuff I had for sale when I was new, don't know if I had posted anything in the forum beforehand, and I am currently a paid member. If I was turned away, I may have never come back, who knows. Some people bought my stuff from here, some from Craigslist...I haven't heard any complaints either way. I'm adopting some fish from someone nice who never posted before, and I'm grateful. If something you buy has been well loved, it's buyer beware as people are saying....doesn't matter what/where you purchase from. Hell, I'd rather buy used electronics these days; everything new I buy breaks anyhow...at least buying something used has already been through that "warranty period" :). I say if there is a real problem/scam sort of thing, take it up with the board members. I don't know this forums behind the scenes workings, but your IP address is logged pretty much everywhere on the internet that you visit, just like caller ID when you call someone. You can't block your IP without being a hacker and if that's the case, this would be the last place they'd waste their time. If that "poopie head" scammer, or whatever can be tracked, then maybe their IP address can just be blocked....much more effective than say blocking/banning a username, they can just create another one anyhow and start posting again. IP change isn't that simple unless you use dial up or go to a different physical location. In anycase, is this all going too far for no reason, or is there merit to all this mess?