Any home brewers or wine makers among us?

rmhuntley

Alright...

I thought that I would not mix hobbies..... (but my refractometer works for both:) )

Yes. I have a nice little brewery.. can make up to 50 gallons a batch... only problem is I have to use my conicals and all of the carboys!

I usually only do 11 gallon batches, that way I can have 5 or 6 styles on tap at a time. Get bored drinking all the same stuff. Have 5 taps on the fridge... one nitro and 4 CO2.

I make mead (Honey and water... fermented) it is not that sour battery acid stuff.. that is probably a Lambic you are speaking of (Ronjr?). Yes... I have a firkin... a 11 gallon barrel that is now a Lambic barrel. Infected with all of the nasty sour bugs from Belgium... Also known as controlled spoilage!

I also do wine. This year we crushed a ton of grapes... primary fermentation is done and now time for the malolactic fermentation. will probably barrel it next month. Last year and this year we did Sryah or the Aussie spell it Shiraz, which is the wine that Nyles tasted.

I belong to a brew club "The Heart of the Valley Homebrewers". We put on a homebrew competition and microbrewery festival each year. Next year is our 25th year! We like to throw a big party! live bands... food... 43 Kegs of beer... all to raise money for the local food share and OSU scholarship fund... Plus... nobody was arrested!

I teach a BJCP (Beer Judging Certification Program) class. The class prepare the students to pass the national test and become a beer judge. Really... It is pretty hard... Did you know that there are 28 different sytles of beer and mead? some of those styles have 5 or 6 subcatagories. A lot of information to learn.

Sorry to ramble... I enjoy that hobby while enjoying this habby! in other words...

Drink a beer and watch the tank!

Bill

Oh! I am setting up a brew session like what I did for R-3 and Reefin'. I think that Palani and mbeef61 want to brew also. Let me know who is interested.

Oh! I am setting up a brew session like what I did for R-3 and Reefin'. I think that Palani and mbeef61 want to brew also. Let me know who is interested.

Let me know, I'd be interested. Can't say no to a good beer! I've made it once with a friend and turned out great. That "battery acid" stuff he made though....man, I'd rather pluck out all my leg hairs than drink a sip of that stuff again...whatever it was.

Hooboy, I did *not* have to know that you can have a nitro tap at home. Good homebrewed Porter with nitrogen (drooler)

Wanted to Trade: 60gal mixed reef for bottomless beer supply.

Forget this whole saltwater business, why not raise our fish in beer! We can then look forward to sucking up spills on the carpet and licking the dribbles down the glass.(drooler)

Forget this whole saltwater business' date=' why not raise our fish in beer! We can then look forward to sucking up spills on the carpet and licking the dribbles down the glass.(drooler)[/quote']

I can see me accidentally drinking my fish...

Or confusing my "Tank water" for skinmate. Mmmm

Its actually not Tequilla with the worm its Mezcal. Good stuff, order a double in Mexico and it arrives in a wine glass (real mexico not tourist country).

Roy, Ive got a full set of homebrew stuff if your interested, I simply dont have time anymore. Ive made 5-6 batches in the past, but havnt touched it since I bought waves. Fermenting buckets, 5 gallon wort pot, siphon gadgets, Party pig keg dealio, and Ive actually got all the ingredients for a batch of something (forget what) although Im sure the yeast is bad by now.

Well Boys and Girls...

Will be brewing a dopplebock next weekend. PM me if you are interested in this process and want to come over. The mash will be a tripple decoction and the whole process is labor intensive and time comsuming. (Most breweries stopped using this traditional method...) About 9 - 10 hours overall. Fun because it is warm beeing around the decoction/boil pot, folks can come and go... Food available... and Ryan & Ray's IPA will (Hopefully) be drinkable by then!

I will post the grain bill after I figure it out!

Brewery

PB040326.jpg

About mead... Let me know... I have 4 gallons of honey ready to go!

Andy... I have a Porter (50% wheat, chocolate and brown malts) that a good friend brewed going on nitro in two weeks... also a Imperial Stout .. All for my other clubs Christmas party.. Ahh S(censored)!

I'll let you know if there is any leftovers (drinking)