T5 guru? Need some help

impur

Blury but the white spots are skeleton. This is in low light

P1010174.jpg

xmas favia doing ok

P1010178.jpg

acan looks like crap. Where should i put this in the tank? Its about 1/4 of the way up

P1010177.jpg

Micros are fine, even a new polyp growing

P1010176.jpg

echino on its way out

P1010175.jpg

froggies doing fine

P1010171.jpg

candycane flesh peeling away

P1010169.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tests as of tonight

temp 79.0

pH 8.25

SG 35ppt

alk 9dkh

calcium 440ppm

nitrates 0ppm

nitrites 0ppm

ammonia 0ppm

What was the pH of Niles frag sitting tank? About a month ago or more, someone gave me some pH up (before my other fish issues) and did so too fast and my 1st candycane started looking like yours to what appreared to be the point of no return. It is coming back now though, but makes we wonder what the parameters were and possibly part of the issues.

Yah i don't think we'll ever get to the bottom of this without lab grade equipment. Its very frusterating. I thought the candycane would be impossible to kill. I've dropped it upside down. had it fall over onto rics, had rocks fall on it, and it still just kept growing like a weed. Now its got stable params, good flow, lots of room, good light, and its dying.

Thanks Sarah thats nice of you! I'm holding out hope it will pull thru, i moved it last night from the back corner with lower light/lower flow to the front of the tank. It now gets more light and more flow, we'll see if that helps. Its just so weird that one lps is dying, while another sitting 2" from it is doing great. I cannot understand this.

What the heck is wrong with the favia??? That thing is just like the candycane. It got stung by my acan echinata 6 months or so ago and didn't even faze it! It just grew great, it was directly under the MH in the 29gal. At first in the 75 i had it in the middle of the tank on the sand. It never opened up, stayed retracted like the pic for the entire time. I thought it was getting too much light, moved it to the side of the tank where it gets less light and it still hasn't opened up.

I'd be willing to bet you have a bigger issue than lighting. candycane isn't going to die from a lighting change.

did you drop a copper wire in the tank?

have you checked everything else like ites ates ca dkh pos etc?

sure sounds like a bigger issue.

Nope no copper, i don't even have anything copper laying around. Params

temp 79.0

pH 8.25

SG 35ppt

alk 9dkh

calcium 440ppm

nitrates 0ppm

nitrites 0ppm

ammonia 0ppm

Why would the frogspawns be doing great, while 2 inches away the candycane is dying?

I would think that if something like copper or some contaminate got into the tank that all corals would show signs of that. Not every other one, and the zoas, clam, and particularly the remaining SPS should show signs first. But they are doing great.

Could it be flow related?

The candy cane I got from you definitely prefers very low flow and I've had to move it around a bit in the 120 to find a good low flow spot for it. High flow makes it shrivel up unhappily.

Did you get any used equipment that could have been exposed to copper?

It's just so strange that some things are doing great while others are dying.

Do you still have the 29 and could set it up again temporarily to move the troubled corals in and see if they recover?

I still dont think tissue damage like on that candy cane photo are going to be from light damage. In my old tank I took candy cane from the bottom of the tank and put it directly under a 400w halide about 4 inches deep in the water, it never showed any signs of damage like yours.

I still think you should look into other reasons for the issue. But to each his own as they say.

I still dont think tissue damage like on that candy cane photo are going to be from light damage. In my old tank I took candy cane from the bottom of the tank and put it directly under a 400w halide about 4 inches deep in the water, it never showed any signs of damage like yours.

I still think you should look into other reasons for the issue. But to each his own as they say.

Thats the thing, i've looked at all the things i can think of. Thus this thread.

Susanne, it was in very low flow prior to that pic, in fact i moved it out of the low flow area to take that picture. My 29gal did not have any areas of low flow, so i've moved it to higher flow to see if it helps. I am sure its not copper. It can't be. My clam, and especially SPS would show signs before these corals if copper was involved. No i can't use the 29gal.

Candy I got from you (Impur) was not effected half way up in my tank with my 8 bulbs. I did have to move my enchino up and now its doing wonderful. Also the 2 tiny itty bitty rics are doing great that I got from your tank.

FYI

Wow, i didn't think they'd make it LOL

Just got back from lunch. Acan still not real inflated, but the stupid cleaner shrimp is always on it. I might have to get rid of the shrimp. On a positive note, i notice some green color, kind of a flourescence, in the brown. Kind of neat. Gave me a slight happy feeling.

Time for some good news in this thread!!! I've got lots of new zoo polyps popping up. My candycane is going to pull thru. Echino died, acan still looks ok and micros look so-so.

SPS growing fine, although the tenius isn't as purple as it was in Nyles tank. But i have good news!!! My blue mille decided to stop RTNing (or STNing) on one of the frags i cut from the main colony. I have a tiny tiny tip with good PE and no more recession!!!! Whoohooo (rock2) (rock2) (highfive)

P1010191.jpg