Holesaw bit for glass tanks

mister crabs

Yep vanz said it right' date=' you need a 45mm holesaw for a 1" sched 40 bulkhead. If you don't find them locally, ebay has em for like 3 bucks plus shipping.[/quote']

yup bought 2 off of ebay a couple of nights ago, should have them soon I hope. I need to replace one of the bulkheads on my overflow...leaks water no matter what I do.

i have heard just to go slow with a cordless drill and do it with a slow flow off a garden hose to keep everything lubricated and cool. I planned on one drain hole either in back middle near bottom or in the bottom itself if i ever hear back from oceanic whether its tempered bottom or not. And then i was going to go with two return lines in back panel. was originally going to go with a CL but i dont want all the cost on a tank this small. I figure my two return spouts and then maybe one or two of those sweet maxi-jet mods.

That sounds like a great plan! The key to drilling it is water. Make sure you have a steady flow, not only to cool the bit and glass, but to wash out the sand it creates from grinding the glass away. And make a guide out of wood. The bit skates all over the place until you get the groove started, the guide helped a ton.

FWIW I dont use a garden hose for drilling. Ive had good luck using some clay or tape to make a dam around the hole and using antifreeze. The lubrication and cooling properties of the antifreeze seem to work really well.

I also dont make a template, I just run the bit on edge enough to get it started then straighten it out thus making a round hole.

antifreeze? never thought of that because i figured it would be hard to make sure you get all the stuff off the tank before you start adding water and LR and it may mess up the chemistry. but not a bad idea! I was going to cut a piece of plywood same size as back panel of glass and use wood holesaws to give me a template. Plus the thickness of the wood would give me a small dam to hold water. (or antifreeze)