Back-up Power supply?

siskiou

I came across two older Hewlett Packard UPS units, and wonder if they can be used as back-up for aquariums in case of power outage.

Are there any instructions (with pictures!) online that would help me figure out if these are usable and what to do to get them ready?

-Susanne

I haven't looked into it at all (the units are still in the back of the car), but I'll get to them this weekend, I hope.

H2Ocooled, I was planning on running the Tunze, and possibly the heater in case of a power outage.

Do you have any pics of your setup? I can't really see how to connect anything to the UPS without some kind of adapter.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/emergencypowersources/ht/ht_aqups.htm

I tried clicking on the link I posted earlier and it went somewhere else....but the above should work, I hope. Hey Rich, what's the spec on your UPS? How long can it run the tunze for in a power outage?

Siskiou, I think you need to use an old UPS or any UPS that can run a computer for 15 to 30 mins on full load. Is yours a tower? I think maybe 700 VA is the minimum? But I don't know, that's what I take from what Nyles was telling me.

I would avoid plugging the heater in unless you have a separate UPS just for it, the heater will kill the battery really quick.

As for my setup, its just a UPS and it has plugs in the back and I plug the Tunze right into the plug.

Maybe mine is the wrong kind of UPS then.

All I saw were computer type plug-ins, nothing like a regular one. :(

actually series wiring. so hot off UPS to hot on first battery, neg on same battery to pos on second ,and neg on second to neg on UPS. DONE you have 24 volt battery out of 2 12 volters..

Wanna trade for the second one? PLEASE!!!!! LOL

Don't forget you HAVE to have 2 batteries. No mucking about.

well you will need two deep marine batteries some batterie terminals, 12 ga wire or better. a dco and more wire. and a little luck in figuring out how and where to put the 2 batteries. Doubt they will fit in the unit.

That will make one, and the other you could donate to a guy that helps you. LMAO.