blue tang playtime

Ron Popeil

lately ive noticed my regal blue tang behavior in a fascinating way. he will swim to the bottom of the tank, pick up a small piece of coral rubble, swim around with it for a while and then drop it. and then he will repeat this.

my live rock structure is littered with small coral pebbles. i think its hilarious, but its the first time ive noticed something like this.

anyone have any thoughts on this? similar experiences with this species?

Maybe he's super hungry....or just bored and sucking the algae off for ya. Some of my cichlids do that and pretty sure they're just trying to eat the algae....they'll eat all day long if you fed them that much. Pretty funny, anytime you walk in or out of our living room, all 30 of them swarm to the end of the tank following you..in hopes for food. (and I do feed them 2x day too)

My Pacific blue Tang does the same thing. He will pick up small hermit crabs or empty snail shells and take them up to the top of the tank, and then drop them. I think that he is looking for 'pods to fall out, since he follows the shell down a little ways.

His most disturbing habit is dropping things into my large bubble coral, mainly small frags that I have glued to pieces of rubble and sitting on the sand. I've lost quite a few frags to his playful antics.

lately ive noticed my regal blue tang behavior in a fascinating way. he will swim to the bottom of the tank, pick up a small piece of coral rubble, swim around with it for a while and then drop it. and then he will repeat this.

my live rock structure is littered with small coral pebbles. i think its hilarious, but its the first time ive noticed something like this.

anyone have any thoughts on this? similar experiences with this species?

Sounds about right, mine does this with hermits.