Help me decide...

reefgeek84

Alright, I am trying to decide...(despite what I say about things in the tank that are big and take up space) I am considering a tunze wave box (i think that trade off for what this thing does is worth it) or I am just thinking about getting another vortech pump... I can not decide on what route I want to go...

Man if you get the wavebox i'm coming up to check out your tank Brandon. Those things are sweet!

I am sold then if you are gets you to come over...how about some wine and dinner...(clap)

Totally kidding(laugh) (laugh)

But seriously, I think I am going to get that and you can come out...

My vote is the vortech's, I love the Wavebox, but in a small tank (under 6ft long) they take up way to much space and they look funny in the tank. Also they do not create as big of a wave. Trust me I had one and I tried it in my 130G tank, it was TOO BIG in there. With the vortechs you have a lot of flexiblility and control over the flow and they don't take up a lot of room.

Some day I plan to get another wavebox but it will be in an external box that you will not see inside the tank.

My vote is the vortech's, I love the Wavebox, but in a small tank (under 6ft long) they take up way to much space and they look funny in the tank. Also they do not create as big of a wave. Trust me I had one and I tried it in my 130G tank, it was TOO BIG in there. With the vortechs you have a lot of flexiblility and control over the flow and they don't take up a lot of room.

Some day I plan to get another wavebox but it will be in an external box that you will not see inside the tank.

Really? Interesting, how big was the wave in there?

I could have gotten around a 1" wave. But there are a LOT of factors that affect the size (i.e. overflow placement, eurobracing, tank length, openess of rocks,etc...)

another factor is that you will need at least 3/4" of airspace at the top of your tank, so if you tank has eurobracing it will NOT work unless you water level is at least 1" below the bracing.

Don't get me wrong I love the Waveboxes they are never high quality and work very well, I just don't think they are for every tank.

I could have gotten around a 1" wave. But there are a LOT of factors that affect the size (i.e. overflow placement, eurobracing, tank length, openess of rocks,etc...)

another factor is that you will need at least 3/4" of airspace at the top of your tank, so if you tank has eurobracing it will NOT work unless you water level is at least 1" below the bracing.

Don't get me wrong I love the Waveboxes they are never high quality and work very well, I just don't think they are for every tank.

This is a good thing to know...from someone who had one, looks like I may be going with a vortech

I think they are both great systems and both have very good customer support also. What sold me on the Tunze over the Vortech was that Tunze has been around for quite a while, they have a great controller setup, and every part on them is replaceable so if the blade breaks I can just replace it rather then the whole impeller.