DIY Skimmers Putting Deltec to Shame!

Piero

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It will really depend on where you are buying it from. The biggest issue is you will have a very difficult time find the cast locally and when you do it is very expensive. That is why I get mine online.

Do you know a shop in Portland that sells full sheets (4'x8') of good quality 1/4" cast acrylic for around $120, get stuff for making sumps and other stuff.

It will really depend on where you are buying it from. The biggest issue is you will have a very difficult time find the cast locally and when you do it is very expensive. That is why I get mine online.

Do you know a shop in Portland that sells full sheets (4'x8') of good quality 1/4" cast acrylic for around $120, get stuff for making sumps and other stuff.

Get out the phonebook and call them all...see if the bigger places will beat the competitor’s price. It’s amazing as to how much acrylic is when so many cheap things that we buy come in plastic. It baffles me.

Been there done that and cast acrylic is very hard to find locally and all of the places are going to charge you twice as much as you will get online. Trust me I've done a lot of shoping for acrylic.

Get out the phonebook and call them all...see if the bigger places will beat the competitor’s price. It’s amazing as to how much acrylic is when so many cheap things that we buy come in plastic. It baffles me.

What I would do is try the mesh mod on your current setup and see what kind of difference it makes, you might find that with that a new one is not need.

As for 1 or 2 pumps I personally do think there is any point to a 2nd pump until you get into the 10" or larger tubing. Its just to small of a space with to much turbulence.

so... I know I said no more questions... but I have more... okay I have a gen-x 4100 running my ETSS right now, and my question is... if i make a skimmer like andy's with an 8" diameter tube (like deltec AP 701), and used to genx with a scrubber wheel thingy, would that be good flow?

or should i use 2?

These pumps are not used for for they are used purely to add very small micro bubbles to the skimmer, so moving more water is not neccasarly a good thing. As for attaching mesh to the paddles it would not work, there would not be enough room between the paddles and the front housing for the mesh and the pump would not spin. When you buy a pump just buy the needle when version and the use it for the mesh.

I have and use the 4100 with needle wheel, So still not sure if the mod is if you don't have a needle or what, and i still don't see how it moves water if there are no impellers. OK so it is spinning, but pushing?? Some one explain please, as I am going to mod a skimmer