DIY Skimmers Putting Deltec to Shame!

Piero

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never seen polycarbonate tubing so I have no idea, but the thing to find out is it safe for drinking water and then is it strong enough to support the weight of a pump. Also from a quick look at Mcmaster carr the polycarb is around $30 a ft for 6" diameter and the same cast acrylic is $20.

Acyrlic tubing really isn't that expensive, just look for the Cast stuff and you will be fine with 1/8" wall too. For most users 6" diameter would be fine especially with just one pump, you can get 36" of it for $62 on Mcmaster carr which would be enough to build the body and collection cup, then just add a 2 or 3" tube for the neck and a couple of pieces for the base, flanges, and top.

The seals are Uniseals and I get them from aquaticeco I usally try to buy some extra and in different sizes to make it worth the cost of shipping, but they also have some other cool plumbing parts too.

As for the neck piece, it along with the cone transition were made for me buy a guy on Reef Central. It was quite expensive but I do not have the setup to make either. But I did find a place online that sell acrylic domes that would work great for a transition and you can use a big union for the neck.

I thought about making a tapered neck like on the Euroreef RC135, but decided it'd be too much of a pain. The Deltec APH525, which I was using as one of my models, has a flat neck transition so I'm not too worried about it for now.

The article Latest Thoughts on Skimmer Design makes mention of a theoretical advantages of a tapered neck; the author speculates that a tapered neck would make adjusting for wet/dry foam easier. I suppose it might, but I'm already able to control the water level (via the drain ball valve), flow rate (via a ball valve on the input pump) and air volume (via a needle valve on the venturi feed).

From a pure efficiency/effectiveness point of view, the two big adjustments are bubble size and bubble dwell time. In a recirculating skimmer, bubble size is controlled by the needlewheel pump. The Gen-X isn't great, but is good enough for me for now. Eheim was supposed to be introducing an Eheim-branded needlewheel pump this Fall/Winter (not the Deltec/Bubbleking enchanced impeller version, but their own), but I haven't heard anything much about it since the Interzoo announcement. Pretty sure it'd work great, and I might upgrade if it isn't crazy-expensive.

Dwell time is a balance between water column height, flow rate, bubble size and probably phase of the moon ;) I went as tall as I could with my skimmer (18") and still have it fit in my stand. Hopefully, I'll be able to tune the bubble dwell time well enough with air/flow settings.

I ran my skimmer through it's first wet test last night, and it had fewer leaks than I was expecting :D I need to epoxy up the neck joint, and put a bit more teflon tape on the Gen-X output fitting. Aside from those little details, it seemed to be working great. I got a nice bubble size, and was able to control water level and flow rate pretty easily.

I took a bunch of pictures during the build, I'll post them up with commentary when I get a chance.

Andy,

Check out that thread I posted earlier on RC regarding the use of Mesh instead of needles for the pump. There are a couple of people in there that have taken there Genx pumps to an amazing level of bubble production. Best of all it is really easy to do and with local parts.

Window screen will be to flimsy to work and would get destroyed quick. For mine I just went to Walmart and bought a heavy duty scrubber (like what you would use on a concrete floor. But I also found some at Ace hardware that worked just as well.

As for attachment if it is not a normal needle wheel implellor then you will need to make a disc of some sort to attach to the implellor and then the mesh to. A needle wheel setup is a lot easier, I just cut off all of the needles and then drilled a couple holes and I used the small zip ties to attach it.

I believe 1/8 is fine, but don't take my word for it. I think it all depends on how bombproof you want it to be, but people are making skimmers with 5-gallon water jugs...which is a fabulous idea i think. But I know they have very thin walls.

and i think that the worst bomb it would have to deal with is my 3 pound dog getting lost inside of it... on "accident"

3lbs?

Yo quiero skimmate?

Introducing a small mammal into your skimmer helps to cut down on turbulence i hear.

this one seems to be experimenting with something larger.

link