DIY Skimmers Putting Deltec to Shame!

Piero

Have you guys seen some of the amazing DIY skimmers being built? These things look better than even the Deltecs.

I'm all about saving money in a hobby where most of the equipment is technologically simple and way overpriced. Check these DIY skimmers out! Really makes me wish I had a workshop, lol. I've compiled a collection of the best in a post: link

8543imb65age1.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, they top out at 6"

US Plastics has bigger stuff but it gets hideously expensive PDQ EDIT: Though not as hideously expensive as the mongo-skimmers Deltec and Bubble-King sell. The minimum order is 5' lengths, so you'd need to get a group-buy going I think, unless you're looking to build a skimmer for Puget Sound ;-)

Though not as hideously expensive as the mongo-skimmers Deltec and Bubble-King sell. The minimum order is 5' lengths' date=' so you'd need to get a group-buy going I think, unless you're looking to build a skimmer for Puget Sound ;-)[/quote']

How about a skimmer making party :) Might be worth it if someone had the plans to make one of these, buy parts in bulk and get our tools together and crank some out... I looked at some of those on RC listed above, but didn't see details and was getting overwhelmed. (maybe I'm weird, but I like instructions). I know my little airstone driven Redsea skimmer could do better by being replaced.

I buy all of the acrylic tubing from McMastercar.com I've found them to have some of the best prices especially if you are NOT looking for 6 ft of tubing. Also their shipping costs are very good.

As for DIY skimmers they are a lot of fun to make but to get something up to Deltecs quality and performance it is NOT cheap. Here are 2 different one that I built and one is currently on my tank.

coralstanks080.jpg

ShannonSkimmer004.jpg

So, the reason that I say it's hard to match the performance of a deltec is:

1. Good or great pump needed (Good = Ocean runner, Sedra, Gen-x, great = Ehiem, AquaBee, etc...)
  2. Good matched venturi needed
  3. transition cone neck needed for smooth bubble flow, well for large skimmer anyway

But that is not to say that you cannot make a good skimmer though. In the last month or so that has been some really interesting break throws in pump impeller LINK I did that mod on my skimmer and the performance increase was amazing to say the least.

Here is a video of my skimmer in action and the air it is pulling out now (around 1400 lph)

th_Mesh_wheel009.jpg