Madmikes looooooong 375 gallon (12 foot) DIY build thread

madmike

Smann,

Wires are used on almost all joints, and certainly anything tank related. Thin material like 1/4" or 3/8" gets .008" wires while anything thicker gets the twist-ties which are .014". Just works for me, but experiment and see what works best for you :) Solvents will vary & material will vary, so wire size and "soak time" can/will vary as well.

Mike,

So proud and happy for you, keep up the good work (rock2)

HTH,

James

• Like 1

Thanks James!!! You know I couldn't and wouldn't have done this without your help. You truley are an asset to this community.

I still have more pics to post, maybe tonight. The tank is now ready to glue the top, all openings have been cut....now I just need to get several friends over at one time to help me pull pins while I lay 29 feet of solvent :)

Thanks for the response guys I think I'm getting it and will start some practice.

Just one more question....When its clamped in place, which I have made similar jigs, and on the wires...apply the glue....pull the wires

How does it drop down into place?....if its clamped to the jig?

Thanks, I'll start some practice pieces before I ask anymore

its clamped into the jig sitting directly on the piece to be bonded, if you use a piece of wood with camper foam underneath of it, the foam will give way a tiny amount so the wire spacer can be slipped in, then when it is removed after solvent has been placed in the gap, the pieces come back together.

its clamped into the jig sitting directly on the piece to be bonded' date=' if you use a piece of wood with camper foam underneath of it, the foam will give way a tiny amount so the wire spacer can be slipped in, then when it is removed after solvent has been placed in the gap, the pieces come back together.[/quote']

Got it!, Thanks Mike I'll give it a try. Been following the thread on RC, great work keep it going!!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to getting some more work done on the tank. Was waiting for a nice day, a bunch of friends, and a forklift to get this beast into my house!

moving41of1.jpg

moving21of1.jpg

moving31of1.jpg

moving11of1.jpg

moving51of1.jpg

I had today off, so I started to plumb the OM 4 way closed loop and get the face on the stand. Ignore the mess, these were taken half way through.

moving61of1.jpg

Ignore the wall, the old tank was in that spot, all of the holes in the wall and crown molding will be fixed soon. The tank is also sitting out from the wall to make it easier to plumb.

moving71of1.jpg

The tank has been leak tested prior to drilling the closed loop and everything looks great. I have a few scratches from moving around the 12' panels prior to putting the tank together. I am going to buff them out this week as well as finish the closed loop and start putting water and sand in. All the inhabitants of the 220 are in the 180 gallon sump and 70 gallon tank that were in my garage, I'm hoping to get everything into the tank within a couple of weeks.

later :)