So... my tidepool grant didn't get funded..

tidalsculpin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually there is quite a few non protected tidepools, I was talking to our local marine bio - ranger and she was telling me how she was dissapointed that more are not protected. Im sure if you talked to the right person they would point you in the right places.

You need a tank???? Ive got a few of them laying around no one seems interested in buying..........

let me know..........Im sure SOMEONE from over the hill will be in my area and can pick it up for you......

Ive got an 80 gallon glass in decent shape that is all yours if you need it. It isnt drilled but could be.

Actually for this... I would donate the transportation if he wants it.

Tidal Sculpin, if you want Flyguys tank and you're coming to PDX area, let me know ASAP to work out delivery/pu. My Bro-inlaw lives in Bend and could bring it over the hill to me on Turkey Day (if Flyguy could drop it off into his truck). If not heading this way before your need it, I'm sure someone else makes the trip your way on occasion.

Wow, an 80 donated??? Awesome!! Leaks or not I'll be happy to work with it! Bend is a drive for me and with snow on its way it could be exciting getting it home in my little 88 corolla wagon. Miles even offered to help me with some drilling. If you are serious please message me and we can talk about getting it to my school.

I have a 45 breeder that could become a sump or a q-tine tank.

I figure 2 X 250 mh maximum. The only anemones that appear to be photosynthetic are the green anemones. I am not sure if I would even need that much if I tried to "trap" the anemones in a bowl shaped rock near the top of the tide pool. Most anemones appear to be very hungry for fatty foods from what I have read so far in the NW. I think I'll be needing a strong sump skimmer for this setup. Got any diy ideas or links?

cold water doesnt need light if that what your talking about. Look at what Steve has been talking about with his tank. They are hogs though. do a DIY skimmer they are everywhere, standard pump with fishline to break up air into a containment tube and top catch for skinmate.

Green anemones do need light, I'm just not sure how much. What I know about other photsynthetic anemones in tropical tanks is that they need mh for sure.

Coldwater hetertroph anemones appear to need lots of mysid shrimp or other fatty foods for nutrition and little light to see them.

I do want to keep the heat down so mh does not seem necessary. The rc thread by steveweast shared an incredible coldwater tank. He used t5 tek lights but no photosynthetic anemones were in his tank. It also appears certain species will need cool temps but many in the tidal zone can survive pretty well at ambient room temps. One question is, can they thrive year round. Will a chiller really be necessary?

These are yet to be answered for me from what I have read so far.

DOH!

I just figured out that he has even posted on this thread. Boy, do I have a lot to learn. I guess I'll leave the green ones alone. I'll have to contact him about his setup.

I am in the process of obtaining a scientific take permit to use for educational purposes. They want to know what I am going to collect so I put the green anemones down as one of the species. I just wanted to be sure and take good care of the organisms.

I am also trying to contact OSU extension sea grant coordinators at Hatfield Marine Center for info.

Joel,

If the tank from Fly doesn't work out for ya - lemme know, we can always *find* enough material to make a tank for a cause such as this. I also have some old dry LR that you can use as base rock if you need/want, wouldn't exactly be native but... I'd also be happy to supply some plumbing supplies you will need provided we have them on the shelf, bulkheads, tees, ells, etc. There are various other items on hand as well that I would like to make available should you need them for this project, eg., Ocean Clear canister filter, various electrical supplies, timers, etc. Many parts are new and many were parts of my old tanks that I could use in the future but if there is a present need for a good cause...

I also have a very good friend who works for ODFW (former curator at OR Coast Aquarium) that might know where you may collect, I could ask if you wish.

please do let me know if I can help,

James

I meet with a Park ranger that tours the reef areas down by north bend and is going to school for marine bio, she told me most places are not protected. I wish I had her contact info, we had a good time chatting about my tank and all the stuff we seen on the trip to the local reefs with her.

If I were you, I'd take James up on his generous offer. I'd have him build a touch tank out of 1" thick acrylic.....with dimensions of something like....48"or 60" X 24" X 12" or 18". A shallow tank would provide ample tactile experiences for your kids. I'd have him build an overflow at one end....and a small sump for below the tank to hold a skimmer, carbon, etc.

I could get you rock from Puget Sound along with colorful anemones, starfish, urchins, cucumbers, hermits....and maybe a few small fish like gunnels. It could be a spectactular display if done right. The lighting is irrelevant....so, maybe a small T5 fixture....but.....nothing too elaborate or big to interfere with the ability to "touch" everything. Viewing from above and through the sides will be very interesting for your kids.