Feeding the Knop C Calc REactor

puntific

What's the best method for pumping water into the Knop C? I just got one used and I need to get water from my tank and into the darn thing though an air line and then back into my sump. Seems like I might feed it directly from my overflow water instead of using a pump. Would that work?

Thanks,

puntific

actually i feed mine using the included circulation pump, works just fine. Just take the line at the bottom of the reactor chamber stick that in your sump or tank someplace so it won't get clogged add water to the reactor, all the way full and start the ehiem pump, it should start a suction

Or you can tee into your return line similar to what I did when I used a calcium reactor...

Look at the ball valve in the upper right hand corner. I drilled/tapped a hole for 1/4" pipe tread, then screwed a speed fitting into it. Worked like a charm.

3286419935_a7fa5abceb.jpg?v=0

Well, my reactor has two inlets at the top that have hoses into the middle of the reactor. Then there is also a third inlet that is just top center. I was assuming that this third inlet is actually the outlet. Now if I attach CO2 to one of the others and water from my sump into the last, will the movement of water in the tank cause a negitive pressure in the hose that will draw up water from my sump (where the effluent is going)?

It's so crazy that it just might work... (but is that how it works?)

puntific

It's the pump on the reactor pulling water down to the bottom of the reactor that creates the suction. It's hard to explain but at the top of the reactor where the effluent hole is there is a positive pressure from the water returning into the reactor from the pump and as the water is pulled through the media a negative pressure gradually increases as it gets closer to the bottom of the reactor. Make sence?

Ryan' date=' who built your reactor? Do ya have any pic's of it before going into the sump?[/quote']

Heres the link to my build thread on it... http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10507

It was my first big acrylic project...before I had access to a laser cutter ;)

It worked great! I would use the same design if building another calcium reactor. I just dont feel like I have enough control over cal/alk with a calcium reactor, so now I use 2 peristaltic pumps and BRS chemicals.