Anyone ever have jellyfish randomly pop up in your tank?

AquaticEngineer

So this must be the third time this year that I have seen a random jellyfish type creature pop up out of no where in my tank.

Always the same, purplish brown color, same size, doing the same thing. They will occasionally get swept into the current of the tank but for the most part they would just pulsate at the bottom in the sand.

I finally managed to catch one and took a quick video of it. It now resides in my refugium :D

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg100/Stuwobbe/Reef/?action=view&current=P1140033.flv

It looks really similar to the upside down jellyfish I saw at the Boston Aquarium, could that be possible?

Anyone else ever have these pop up? Good, Bad? What would you recommend I do? I've thought about setting up a small tank so you can better see them, maybe something just plumbed off of the main tank.

Yea, I had 5 in my sump at one point. Eric was the one who made me tell the forum. I just thought I was crazy. You may be able to find my thread somewhere. One of my sump walls broke so my water fluctuates too much now so I think they got flushed into the main tank and were probably eaten.

I just want to say that that is so cool...so here goes: "That is SO COOL!!!" I would flip out if I had jellyfish spawning in my aquarium.

If you've ever been to the Newport aquarium, they have a jellyfish spawning exhibit. The jellyfish start out attached to the substrate by a stalk, and once they are more fully developed they start to pulse until they break free and swim off...it was really cool to watch. Is it possible that you have some still attached to the rock somewhere in your tank?

• 5 weeks later...

I am no expert but from what I am seeing looks to be baby's that come out of the little Hydro worms that you get on your rocks. Next time you start seeing them swimming around start looking at the patches of them worms and you will see them come out of the tubes.

I have a lot more of them worms then I care to have now. Some say they can play havoc on your corals, but some corals like Monti's just grow right over them.

Hey hey' date=' stop making fun of my Hydra's. They do have a green color when the T5 hit them just right. I still havent seen any real threat from them. Most hard corals seem to just grow right over them.[/quote']

stick a piece of your hydnophora next to em an they'll go away real quick like LOL