clown wanted

talkalot82

So I have many clowns in many tanks but I always got them together at the store. I have one maroon clown for two years and I was thinking about putting another in there with her. Possible try to breed them. I know I should try to buy it smaller than the clown I have. But I dont want them to fight. What are some other hint I should know to get one. maybe there is some one who has a small boy in town. I live in springfield eugene area. mines definately a female. She is at mating age.

the best thing you can do is to get one smaller than her, its pretty much guaranteed to be a male, since they're all born male. yours if she's never been with another clown, might actually still be a male.

just go to a store and buy the smallest maroon they have in stock, and you should be good to go.

If it was already paired at one point then i would just get a new set. I had a maroon in that same position and it tried to kill the other smaller one. I had them in a 75g. I watched and gave it 5 days, and by the end the other one was so beat up I had to take one out. I took the big one out and left the unmated one in. Same thing happened with it. Almost killed the other. I've been told they are the most aggressive of the clowns and you need to buy them as a pair. They rarely ever pair up in tanks. You can try but I don't advise it. I wouldn't do it again after seeing 2 different fish almost die trying. It was very sad to see at the time, and now it is unthinkable. There was no way it was ever going to happen like the other varieties do. Good Luck if you do try but know the limit so the fish isn't killed...

Careful if you are trying to assume a small clown is a male. Clowns are one of the fish that are born unsexed so they will mature based on environment. When 2 small juvenille clowns are introduced together the the larger more dominant clown will develop into the female. If the female dies or is removed from the male one of two things can happen. Either a larger female may be added back to the male (assuming this happens quickly) or if the male is left alone without a mate the male will turn into the female.

I would agree that trying to pair up a small male GSM with an established female may be difficult at best as they can be very aggressive. If you want a pair of GSM's I would either look for an established pair. If not you may be able to contact of of the LFS's and ask to order a captive raised juvenille, then you most likely will get a male. I personally would try to stay away from a wild caught fish in this situation as it would be way to easy to not know what you were getting.

Dave