Vortech pump power heads...

reefgeek84

They are definately pretty sweet. One thing about Ice Cap too it seems like they work out the bugs very quickly. Spendy unit but it seems to work awesome. LAter Ryan

Yeah, but if I can get one to work well on the tank...then I am saving roughly 400 bucks without any work...also, I would be willing to take the extra 400 bucks and spend an extra 100 and get a tunze wave box.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well.. depends..

the non controlable nano's run 62.00

6045 = 97.00

6055 = 200.00

controller - 250.00

couple of 45's and a controller would work well.

Pretty sure only the 6055s are controllable... 2 of them and the controller run about $700 :-(

Would be nice at that price, for sure.

6025 - non-controllable, 660gph

6045 - non-controllable, 1200gph

6055 - controllable, 250 - 1500gph

On my 60gal, I could go with a 6025 in one corner and a 6055 + single controller I suppose. That'd give me a decent wave action and save almost half. Of course, I'd still have the powerheads lurking in the corners... Hmmmm....

I found another reason I love these pumps. Battery backup!

After Sunday night, I started to get concerned about a power outage. We have a generator capable of running about 75% of our house but it does not switch over automaticly. So if the power goes out in the middle of the night or while we are at work, the tank sits without circulation until I can get the generator fired up. So I bought two of the battery backups from Ice Cap. One of these will run a pump for 36hrs at 50% power. Or it can run two for 18hrs. I am thinking of buying one more as you can piggyback them and get 100% power for 36hrs.

In my opinion, this is invaluable. It gives me a little piece of mind.

Just thought I would share.

The controller is currently slated for spring 07'.

Nyles, I am almost positive you can diy a battery backup for these. It really amonts to a 12volt sealed battery with a maintenance charger attached. I am tempted to open one up just to have a look.

As for cost, I don't think they are over the top for the performance not to mention the current and future features. To each there own though.

My decision was based on the fact I could buy three for the price of my closed loop, so it was an easy choice. I was going to spend the money one way or another.

Nah I just got an old UPS out and I will get a new deep cycle battery. Then I can plug it in all the time so if power goes out while Im at work it will switch automatically. Cost... about $50-$80 and I can run my pellet stove on it too.

I think I will have my purchase by spring... oh well. Guess its Tunze then, unless they move quicker.

but there is not comp. they are not even the same thing...or at least it looks like it to me...I did not get the vortech for how much flow it puts out.

I got the vortech because it is half the size of the pop in my tank and can have a battery back up. It puts out alot of flow and did not require any work like closed loop

Yeah I get what you are saying but people that are thinking about something like this are gonna look at Tunze Streams, Ice Cap Vortechs, SEIOS, and SEIO Poario. I know they are not all the same. I'll bet ya anyone that has looked at a Tunze Stream has looked at a SEIO or Vortech. Later Ryan