Vortech pump power heads...

reefgeek84

Has anyone had any experience with these? Considering to cost of my closed loop with plumbing is going to be nearly what two of these are, I am considering these...Less work to put a tank together, they have battery back ups for power loss...I am only considering these, not tunze or the like, because these are small, that others are huge, ugly and take up precious space. The only I am unsure about is getting a wave effect, like I would with a OM (which I am going to run if I go CL)...So if anyone has any input that would be awesome, thanks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well if I had one going length wise of the tank and one going from front to back' date=' I am hoping it would make enough random flow...[/quote']

i would definately think so.. i think the pro's way outweigh the cons on this.. if i had the money.. id be getting one, but the new nano streams are out this week, so for the price, i just might try one out.

I have two on my new tank (68 X 36 X 25). They are pretty quiet and the flow is very wide. Easy to relocate is you want to try it in a different position. The controller in not due out till next year, so no waves yet. The battery backup will give you 36 hrs on one pump at half speed. They put out around 3,500 GPH at top speed.

By the time you get the pump, Ocean Motion, all the holes drilled (esp if glass), add up all the bulkheads, unions, ball valves, and potential leaks, the cost is not that much larger. If you would like to come by and see for yourself just let me know. I am in Fairview.

Ken

I'm struggling with this too. An Ocean's Motion + a Sequence pump will run close to $700. A couple of nano Streams with controller runs... close to $700. The closed loop looks nice, but is less flexible. The Streams are very controllable but look like hell in the corners of the tank :-(

I have a 240g that is 72x30x26. I had originaly intended to use a hammerhead running an 8-way. Right after my tank was made I came across the Vortechs. I got excited over the high flow with low power consumption. I did the math and I sold my closed loop system and was able to purchase 3 of the Vortechs. Closed loops, with OM's done properly with good true union ball valves and locline or omninozzels will set you back a little over 1k.

I am quite pleased with them. I had the first run, so I went through some of the trouble shooting with the early models, but I have to say they have been running great for some time now. I am currently only using two of them. One on each end of my tank. They have awesome flow and with the two at opposing ends I get some good random flow. My anemone sways back and forth as do the polyps on my sps. I am not sure if I will end up adding the 3rd one or not. I am eagerly awaiting the controller.

6200 gph of flow consuming only 60 watts. I highly recomend them.

Shawn

how are you spending $700 on a closed loop? I can understand like $400ish' date=' but I dont know how you could spend that much...[/quote']

A dart 215.00 (cheapest anywhere)

OM used 150.00

The plumbing I got from you joel, 120.00

Plumbing from Home Depot and Lowes (true dual ball valves) 75.00 (and those are the cheapest ones anywhere)

20ft spa-flex 50.00

Misc plumbing 75 bucks

Total=

650.00...Build me a closed loop cheaper with great union (for pipe removing) and ball valve set up for cheaper...So I figure 700 for these things would well be worth it.

Without question.

If you want to check them out before you buy, let me know and you are more than welcome to come take a look. If I am not mistaken, you have been to my place before. I think you bought a 100g stock tank from me.

Yes I did...I trust you...do you have them on a wave maker power strip?

Currently mine are running 24/7 at full speed. I could controll them with my Aquatronica unit, but have read about a couple people having had trouble running them on a Aquacontroller units. Thought it was better not to risk it. Now I know they have been tested extensively on wave maker power strips with no problems.

As I said before, I am eagerly awaiting there controller.

Currently mine are running 24/7 at full speed. I could controll them with my Aquatronica unit, but have read about a couple people having had trouble running them on a Aquacontroller units. Thought it was better not to risk it. Now I know they have been tested extensively on wave maker power strips with no problems.

As I said before, I am eagerly awaiting there controller.

Well you have convinced me to take back all my plumbing goods and get two of these...

I'm struggling with this too. An Ocean's Motion + a Sequence pump will run close to $700. A couple of nano Streams with controller runs... close to $700. The closed loop looks nice' date=' but is less flexible. The Streams are very controllable but look like hell in the corners of the tank :-([/quote']

well.. depends..

the non controlable nano's run 62.00

6045 = 97.00

6055 = 200.00

controller - 250.00

couple of 45's and a controller would work well.

I think you would be fine to start. I can turn one of mine off and still get good flow to the other end of my 6' tank. With one running, I get this long undertow effect that is pretty cool. With both running, they hit in the center and create a chaotic undertow back to each end.

The noise you mentioned from what I have read is from a inproperly centered unit, I was told you CANNOT hear them run (At least the new version) uinbless you put your ear up to it or the magnet is off center.

I would still take 2 tunze 6100 over this, but only because its still new and I want a controller. I think the controller is going to be on the expensive side since its wireless and all.

However the Vortec does look promising, Im going to wait and decise when I can save enough for the purchase.

The noise you mentioned from what I have read is from a inproperly centered unit, I was told you CANNOT hear them run (At least the new version) uinbless you put your ear up to it or the magnet is off center.

I would still take 2 tunze 6100 over this, but only because its still new and I want a controller. I think the controller is going to be on the expensive side since its wireless and all.

However the Vortec does look promising, Im going to wait and decise when I can save enough for the purchase.

The thing I like about the vortech is that fact that only something the size of half a pop can is in the tank.