red bugs in the tank

cdumitru78

As the title says, I am pretty sure I got these nasty things in my tank, so I need a bit of help getting rid of these suckers. Everyone seems to agree that interceptor treatment is the way to go, but I have no access to it. Is there anyway to get this without a prescription, or are there any other thoughts regarding this? I was planning to follow treatment/dosage as listed on Melev's website, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

another word of advice would be to get a melenarus wrasse. They hunt all day for things like that to eat. I haven't seen anything including bristle worms in a long time since adding one. I originally got it to fight off the monti eating nudi's and I haven't seen one of those again either. Good security for present and future pests in the tank...

1-800-petmeds sells interceptor without a prescription.

Sorry to hear you got the bugs - but they are very easy to get rid of. Just be sure to follow the recommended treatment of three weeks (once a week for three weeks). And remember, it will likely kill all other crustaceans - crabs (including hermits and acro crabs), shrimp, and most of your pod population. So plan accordingly and remove what you can.

Read this link, great info:

http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html

I have tried that, they always seemed to come back after about 4-5 months, eventually treated whole tank. If I had to do again I would hit the whole system, my inverts did fine with it even though I hit them with double dose.

Thank for all the help, I have only purchased frags in the last three months from one store, I will make sure to let them know about it, no trades so no one else should have to worry about this coming from me.

I have a 75 gallon tank and I can only see it on two of my nice acropora colonies towards the front of the tank, they are definitely on those two colonies so I suspect they might be on other frags.

I have a 75 gallon tank and I can only see it on two of my nice acropora colonies towards the front of the tank' date=' they are definitely on those two colonies so I suspect they might be on other frags.[/quote']

Yeah - I would assume they are widespread and treat the whole tank. If you saw them on a single frag that was just purchased, then it might be worth trying to dip that individual coral. Otherwise, I say just rip off the band aid and treat the whole tank.

In the future, I recommend dipping all corals in an Interceptor (and Coral Revive or TMPCC) bath before putting them in your aquarium.

I have tried that' date=' they always seemed to come back after about 4-5 months, eventually treated whole tank. If I had to do again I would hit the whole system, my inverts did fine with it even though I hit them with double dose.[/quote']

good to know, i'll have to watch to see if they come back.

Good luck, pests suck and as Jason H said, TMPCC is a great product. I would not buy anything without dipping in it first. It can be tricky and I have got brown out from using it but I dosed on the high concentration side. Nothing worse than tearing down my 155 gallon a COUPLE time to attempt dosing all my SPS, what a nightmare. Probably the #1 worst hobby experience I have ever had. I would intercept whole tank and have carbon ready in case you have any issues.

I will start using the TMPCC cause I don't want to have to go through this again.

Nyles, what do you think if i do the following.

I have a frag tank that is currently connected to the DT but was thinking of moving all my SPS into the frag tank plus disconnecting it from the DT and just treating that tank. Do you think that would work better than a separate container? I just don't want to treat the whole system cause it's close to 650g of water. I could leave it disconnected for a couple months if that's what it takes to kill the red bugs in the DT.

I will start using the TMPCC cause I don't want to have to go through this again.

FYI... I do not believe that TMPCC kills red bugs. I treat with both Coral Revive (TMPCC is also a good choice) and Interceptor (separately, BTW) before introducing corals.

OK - quick update, did one treatment today early in the AM, took as many invertebrates out as I could catch and dosed with Interceptor. I think my math was slightly off so I dosed about 30% more than I should have, but now in the evening, the affected corals are bug free, I cannot locate any bugs on them, and one of the corals had a significant amount of bugs. I just did a 35 gallon water change, everything looks good. I will dose again early next week and late next week. Interestingly I had a shrimp that I could not catch and some snails, they are all alive.

Thanks for all the help and quick replies, this was a lot easier than I anticipated.