New skimmer for my 75....suggestions.

drock59

My vote is for a Deltec. I was running a RPS-300 recurculating skimmer on my 240 and was less than impressed with the performance. I recently bought an AP702 and all I can say is wow! What a difference. I messed and messed with the octopus skimmer and could never get good consistent skimate out of it. I hooked up the AP702 and pulled out more skimate in two days than I did in two months with the other and I did not even mess with it. The other thing I noticed was it had a horrible stench unlike anything I have ever experienced. I figure a couple more cup cleanings in the kitchen and my wife will approve the self cleaing head:D

Just my 2 cents.

sknotch that has been my experience. I think they would be great skimmers for a lightly stocked system but for my BB heavily stocked 75g, the RPS is not getting the job done. MY old ER used to make me gag when i emptied the cup, this thing doesnt compare. Im officially in the market.

Yeah they do work, but just not quite as well as some of the tried and true models out there. I think there are a number of good skimmers on the market, but only a hand full of tried and true great skimmers.

My decision to go the route I did was based on the fact that I wanted something that I knew would work.

• Like 1

Ive decided on a nearly new Euro Reef CS 135. But the problem is i am not sure its a CS 135. It looks like one of the newer RS 135's. Could anyone help me out on this one?

Here are some pics.

IMG_6618.jpg

IMG_6619.jpg

It looks like the newer models because of the neck but I know ER redid some of their pumps.

Thanks

Thats what I thought too but its kind of hard to tell from the pics of the used skimmer and the ER website. It could be simply lighting.

I just wonder if its worth getting an older model or if i should hold out for new one. The guy im buying it from claims it is less than six months old.

I think a new RS in that size is like $330? Im pretty sure they still use Cell-cast in most RS models. Its just how they weld them together and different parts they use. Ive seen a couple Deltec 1250 Turbos for sale how about one of those? They seem to rip pretty good. Later Ryan

From Euro Reef:

The difference between the RS and CS is the material used and how it is assembled. The RS series skimmers use black cast acrylic for the base, cup and lid plate. All the joints are glued together. The CS series skimmers use a higher quality Type 1 grey PVC for the base, cup and lid plate. All the joints are heat welded together which makes a more durable connection. Both series use the same material for the body and cup. In terms of performance the two series are identical.

Ill take the nearly new, better quality skimmer for 250 and call it good. Thanks for the help. I cant imagine finding a better deal on a virtually new ER anywhere. I look all the time on RC but like the one you linked to, they are often very old.