Any corals in your tank you didn't intentionally add?

DChemist

I discovered a coral in my tank this morning I never intentionally added...

Sorry for the lousy pictures. It has a total of 6 polyps.

unknowncoralb.jpg

unknowncorala.jpg

Do you suppose it's a hitchhiker on the rock or did something in my tank reproduce or is it just a frag that broke off and settled there?

I always seem to end up with something when I buy rock... I've had at least 3 different species sprout out of nothing after light was introduced to the rock. The last batch of rock I purchased was in a rubbermaid with only ambient light for two months before going into the tank and now has some polyps taking off (looks zoanthidish).

The rock I picked up for my first tank had many "dead" skeletal areas from some encrusting small polyped corals that showed no signs of life for several months when under PCs only. After I made the move to MHs two different species quickly came to life.

Here is a really old pic of one of them:

turbo_eye.jpg

Well, i have no pictures currently, but i have got quite a few zoo's on lr, nothing spectacular, mostly brown ones, my favorite would be the red anemone that was hidden in the rock and is getting bigger and a little 1/2" or so bluish/black clam that i just found when i rearranged my rock. Lol, and it is on the first lr i ever bought 3 years ago. He is pretty cool, gonna try and get him in a spot that i can get a picture.

I traded some camping gear 2 nights ago for some lettuce (technical name anyone?), hairy mushrooms, brown star polyps, gorgonian and colt corals and my wife was viewing them later and said hurry up, what is that large worm? I'm thinking, uh oh, big worm coming out in the daylight? It wasn't bad, it was a feather duster that hitched itself onto one of the rocks (the guy didn't think he had more than one).

I can't wait to see what a lady is bringing me tomorrow for some more camping gear..... blue and lavendar ricordea, deep water blue mushrooms, orange ricordea, ricordia yuma, pink montipora capricornis, green brown zoos and some Caribean stars. Once I get stuff growing, I can pay back those trades I owe to the generous people of this group....especially off the top of my head; D Chemist who gave me my first corals, Tammy?, DennisW and oldbrownies....not to mention those who freely share their advice.

Thanks ron!

By the way, how did that pump work out for you?

The pump is working great for a backup, thanks again since parts are 2 weeks out! It runs a little hot in the cabinet, much hotter than my other...raising the sump/tank temp about 2 degrees, which surprised me. (though it does pump around 2100gph rather than my 850gph inline) I'm leaving the cabinet door propped for now. It's interesting, I think those propellers in the little giant pumps are creating a bunch of microbubbles in itself. I don't see bubbles being pulled into the tube, but out from the pump, there are quite a few. Everything seems to be tight too. The water in the sump stays full about 12 inches deep and pipe is at bottom so it's not slurping air from there. Anyone else see microbubble caused by a inline propeller?