Want a Tunze, but like your arm and legs?

SnowboardKid26

So I have been fighting flow issues in my 16g for a couple of weeks. You'd think with a little under 700 gph flowing through there I wouldn't have any issues, but I was. So I went to the plumbing store here, and stood there like an idiot with a gleam in my eye for about a half hour. This was last night about 8:30 after work, so i'm sure you know I just wanted it over with. Well after sitting there and deciding I didn't want to restrict my flow, just make it flow harder around the tank, I decided to try this.

My return lines come up from my sump, through a SCWD ( T ) and then up and over the back with 3 90s. Well, I took a 3/4" FPT to Slip fitting and screwed it on the 1/2 FPT x MPT 90. Now I don't know why this works, but it blows the water around twice as hard now. maybe its the going from lots of pressure to moving more volume really fast that makes it work, but I'm getting flow more like Fishlips gets outta his Tunze Streams now. I'll try to get a picture up after work, but for now I gotta go... i'm gonna be late (whistle) 'naw... I've been here all morning boss.. " (whistle)

By shrinking the size of the pipe you are creating more velocity coming out of it. Its not more flow, its actually less but coming out at a much faster rate. Think of the garden hose. If you turn the water on full blast and hold the hose above a bucket of water, you can barely feel the water at the bottom of the bucket. But put your finger over half of the hose end and run it into the bucket, you will surely feel the water at the bottom. At the same time, the hose tightens up building back pressure.

ditto on what the above stated, and just keep in mind there is a big difference between flow - which refers to the volume of water - and velocity - which refers to th speed at which something is moving. When you decrease the dia. of the effluent tube, you effectively restrict the flow, and increase the velocity.

and yeah also lose the sqwd...