Starting a " RED BUG CIRCUS "

wegotjs

I don't think I have a problem with them ( maybe i'm a slightly retarded) . I noticed red bugs , a couple of days ago on the glass down by the substrait. Not in big numbers but 20-30. I had a frogspawn die last week that seemed healthy and happy for the last few months.I don't know if this had anything to do with it or not.The only other hard coral i have is a galaxia, I was under the impression that red bugs didnt like LPS & softies. The only other corals in there are few leather softies.The reason I don't think it's a problem, is I have searched and can only find them on the glass not anything else.Do I need to panic or could it be somthing else. If it is red bugs will they die off because of a lack of food (I would reason if there was somthing to eat they would be on it)

If anyone has some leftover flea equipment I could use IE. ferris wheel,trampoline, I would like to start training these guys.(nutty)

I believe what he is referring to is Red Flatworms. I would just get some flatworm exit and take care of the little buggers rather than take a chance. I would almost guarantee that if you are seeing them on the glass there are more in the tank that you are not seeing.

Well, I broke out the magnifing glass . I checked out the Drs Foster & Smith site(identification) and It looks like I have redbugs for sure.Since I have no Acropora corals will they eventualy die? I have 1 galaxia, 1 leather softy, a few mushrooms. Since I have never had sps, they had to have come in on either the galaxia or a frogspawn the only additions in the last 6 weeks. Any suggestions. I would just as soon let them starve if there is little chance of further damage.

I really do not think you have redbugs if you have never had SPS. I had redbugs and never saw them on anything other than SPS. How long has your tank been up? These redbugs cannot survive without a food source (acros) for very long, maybe 3-5 days at best. So theoretically, since your post 4 days ago just about all of them should have died from starvation.

There are "bugs" that are red that are not the dreaded red bugs. They hang out on the front glass near the sand and eat leftovers, and are never seen on any sps.

One the down side, I've never seen anything eat them like they eat other pods.

Interesting. I haven't seen anything like that. Have any pics or links? I'd like to read up on em.

I haven't seen my 1 red bug to catch for you Joel, but I've got a heavy infestation of copopods that are keeping my glass clean. At least that's what I believe they are. They started when some Hawaiin seaweed was introduced. Picture attached of the white salt grainish sized bugs...the long blue skinny lines are not bugs, it's the major microbubble problem. (I don't have a zoom lens for a better closeup)

Are these copopods from people's experience? I wish my system wasn't so young, I'd get a Mandarin Dragonet to eat them up yum! Do twin spot gobies eat them?

copopods.jpg